Megaflow PRV 'squealing'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey ..

Megaflow tank, installation is circa 15 years old.

Every 1-2 months, when the hot water timer kicks in, I will get a high pitch squeal from the pressure reducing valve. Lasts for 10-15 mins. The only way to clear this for any length of time seems to be running through the megaflow bubble recharge process.

My guess is the PRV is starting to fail ? .. Any advice welcome and no I wont be going anywhere near it for DIY. Just looking for an educated answer before getting someone in.

Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Your cylinder and controls need to be checked/serviced

You'll find in the instructions that you should have a megaflo checked annually anyway to ensure all safety controls are working.
Very few people have this done

It may or may not need a new valve or cartridge. Sounds although its starting to fail as u suspect and letti the pressure get to high

Does the water at hot taps start at a higher pressure for a few seconds and reduce?

Pressure doesn't seem to fluctuate at all ..

The system has BG cover, I'm guessing your correct and the cylinder has never seen a service.

Time to call them ..

Sponsored Links
If it's the (black) PRV valve that I'm thinking of then the top will easily unscrew from the base to reveal a filter (which will need a clean).

Wrap a little PTFE tape round the thread before you put it back though (bugger's for leaking)!

Don't forget to turn the water off first.

servotech,

The pressure reducing valve forms part of the safety controls and strictly speaking should not be touched by anyone not qualified to work on unvented cylinders (g3)

If you have BG cover use it
These cylinders can become bombs if the safety controls fail ;)

Your cylinder and controls need to be checked/serviced

You'll find in the instructions that you should have a megaflo checked annually anyway to ensure all safety controls are working.
Very few people have this done

It may or may not need a new valve or cartridge. Sounds although its starting to fail as u suspect and letti the pressure get to high

Does the water at hot taps start at a higher pressure for a few seconds and reduce?

Apologies, I know this thread is rather old but I notice these symptoms in my system. It's a Megaflo unvented indirect system which emits a squeal for 5-20 seconds periodically. It doesn't seem to be connected to the hot water schedule though but the pressure of water from the tap is frequently high for a few seconds before slowing down to normal.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back