Megane 1.9dci starting and then cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1.9dci 05 45,000, The last 2 mornings the engines started ok and then immediately died after about 2 seconds, on pressing the button again it turns over but doesn’t fire, press it again and it eventually fires up and runs fine although the idle seems very slightly a bit erratic for a few minutes. It drives absolutely fine. No warning lights. Turning it off after a few minutes or when its warm and restarting it starts fine. Staring it up at lunch time or in the evening it also seems fine. It may be me but the last few weeks it does seem to have been turning over slightly longer before it fires up. When I bought the car about 3000 miles ago it had a stamp in the book from a non-Renault Dealer, I changed the oil anyway and have also changed all the glow plugs.

It did this once before about 2 months ago but it was facing up a very steep hill and it rained like a monsoon that night so shrugged it off

Would cleaning the EGR valve have any benefit (I know I probably should have done this anyway /slaps wrist!), I have no idea if its ever been cleaned before, probably not, I’m also thinking TDC sensor.

Failing that, what could it be?

Sponsored Links
Either the crank sensor or the temp sender if it's temperature related

I just rebuilt my Renault Kangoo engine and had a similar problem. I fount out it was air in the diesel pump, if the fuel filter has been changed at the last service it could be that as they are a sod to bleed through, if it hasnt been changed it could be water in the filter.
I changed my filter and bleed it all through and eventually it cleared. The van did the cambelt so needed a full top end rebuild. It runs better now than it did when I bought it.
Same engine and set up as yours BTW

Tony

Thanks, I popped out at lunchtime and had a grope around and found a fuel leak so into the garage tom for that to be done. Hopefully thats the culprit. Will keep you posted.
Again, thanks! :D

Sponsored Links
Could be it then, if fuel is getting out then air will be getting in.

Tony

Back