It's just badly worded. The "calibrator" will be simulating an RCD disconnecting after x ms, and checking that the equipment under test registers that time ± the allowed margin.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why is that unlikely? How else could the meters stated disconnection times be checked and verified.
"Unlikely" since I would have thought that it would be extremely difficult to produce a 'box' that would do that - at least, for a sensible price.

There is no problem 'checking and verifying' that a meter is displaying a sufficiently accurate disconnection time when the 'true' disconnection time (as judged by the 'tester tester') was close to, say, 30.0 ms, but creating a situation in which the true disconnection time (under the test conditions) was exactly 30.0 ms would be far from trivial.

Kind Regards, John

This also makes no sense as worded

upload_2018-9-17_16-52-54.png

Surely the tester's job when used is to create an x mA current imbalance to test the operation of an RCD. So in calibration wouldn't you want to verify that it was producing that current, not be applying it somehow?

And if, e.g., "30mA" has a tolerance of 1.5mA, surely that means an acceptable value is 28.5 - 31.5mA, so how is 32.15mA a pass?

Sponsored Links
It is confusing, but I assume what they are saying is that the 1.5mA tolerance is around their 'applied current' of 31.5mA (not the nominal 30 mA) - so that the result would be a 'pass' if the observed current was in the range 30.0 - 33.0 mA - hence 32.15 is a 'pass'.
Edit - too slow again!

Which ones - all of those look to be well within the specification.

The 30ms @ 30ma, it is 0.2ms from the limit. 0.2ms From limit ÷ 1.3ms Tolerance = 15% Away from limit.

It is 31.1ms this year, it was 30.9ms last year; I am fearing it is going to keep going up over the years! :cautious:

Do Britannia correct in firmware for natural drift characteristics when readings get out of range?

It is confusing, but I assume what they are saying is that the 1.5mA tolerance is around their 'applied current' of 31.5mA (not the nominal 30 mA) - so that the result would be a 'pass' if the observed current was in the range 30.0 - 33.0 mA - hence 32.15 is a 'pass'.
In that case the entire document is misleadingly laid out.

You should not have 'parameter' immediately followed by 'tolerance' if the tolerance does not apply to the parameter.

You should not have 'parameter' and 'tolerance' in a table where they share a column heading if the tolerance does not apply to the parameter.

What does this mean?

upload_2018-9-17_21-32-4.png

Surely that function of the meter is to generate 500V in a test of insulation resistance, and indeed the next few rows of the report list what the meter registered for each of the test resistances at that voltage.

upload_2018-9-17_21-35-49.png

So to what was 550V applied? And how, and why? And where did the meter display a reading of 542.1V, and why?

Of course the performance of that function needs to be tested, i.e. they need to check that it does put out 500±50V, and I can see how that might get a reading on the test device of 542.1V. But in that case what is the "550V applied"?

All sorts of relevant questions about that report are being posed but, as is often said in such situations, if someone is interested in discovering the answers, they should ask those who (undertook the testing and) generated the report, not members of this forum (who, at best can only guess and speculate about the answers to the questions).

They just got back to me:

Good Morning Elliott,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can confirm that your payment has been received, thank you.

With regard to your meter drifting out, I really wouldn’t worry as they are very stable machines and we have the adjustment procedures here to adjust if required.

In the years of calibrating the 17XX series testers, I’ve probably only adjusted 3 or 4, and we must of have hundreds of them through the workshop.

The adjustment is covered in the calibration price.

Best Regards,

Phil Trattles

Regards: Elliott.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back