Says the one who can not spell "important" :D:p. But on a serious note, while I do understand what the measurements should be for the particular test I am carrying out and how the readings may be affected under certain circumstances, such as unwanted parallel paths during loop impedance tests for example; It is fair to say that I don't know everything, as it took me quite a while to learn and find out that the MK RCD's in my CU were affecting the accuracy of my No-Trip loop impedance measurements.

I went for the model that I did because I wanted the data download and recharging facility's, not to mention the Megger MFT 17XX series are nicely laid out from an operators point of view. The manual in photo two I printed myself as it did not come with a physical copy of one, only a digital version on the CD.
I was not having a go at you and can spell important (i was using an ipad yesterday). The advice I gave, I would give to anybody starting out.
I have no interest in your choice of MFT, we all have a preference, and was not criticising your choice.

Here is a scenario: you get your MFT and the tests you run in your home all work perfectly. You then get a call to a house to fit an outside socket.
You test the Zs and get the results you got in your house. Where do you start? I'm not having a go at you here. You are about to charge people for your electical expertise and I'm trying to help as you won't have an experienced spark alongside you. I would also point out that you will need insurance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This is the 3rd thread

2nd! :mad: and my other thread was specifically to do with odd Zs readings on one of my circuits.

It is mainly for my personal use and very occasionally for intermediate family members when I do small jobs for them.

At least I will no longer be carrying electrical work for family without a suitable tester, before all I had was a cheap 1000V IR tester of eBay and my cheap Digital MM.

One - Does not count, is over a year old and is a dead thread.

Two - Does not count, is about a specific model of MFT that had just been released around the time the thread was originally posted.

Three - Ok fair point, but was more to do with how RCD types are classified and how manufactures of MFT's make reference to the RCD types their testers support.

Four - As said, was more to do with the quirks of No-Trip fault loop impedance measurements and how such measurements can be inaccurate with certain MFT's when combined with certain fixed hardware such as RCD's, rather than an overview of the MFT it's self.

Five - This thread. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back