Megger MFT1552

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to finally get some test equipment (part 2 student now!) :LOL:

Been looking at the Megger MFT1552 for a long time now, and reckon thats what I'm going to go for, don't think the 1553 is worth it because the only thing it seems to add is bluetooth which I expect would be more hassle than its worth!

http://isswww.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=4912

Sensible choice do ya all reckon? or should I be looking at a different one?

Sponsored Links
Adam,

I've had my MFT1552 for just over a year now and have found it pretty good (though I haven't had access to many others to compare it with).

The only real issue I've had with it is that its not the most convenient when standing up a ladder trying to take a reading from a lighting point or similar. Its fairly bulky so the neck strap is essential and then the supplied leads are not always quite long enough.

Generally though its been reliable, its very robust, and the included probe with light is quite useful when testing CUs.

The RCD autotest has proved very useful when I've used it and saved some long walks back and forth.

As you say, I would suspect the bluetooth is not worth the hassle. As an IT bod I know better than most that trusting all your readings to a bluetooth connection and/or pda is probably asking for trouble - Sometimes pencil and paper really ARE best.

Hope that Helps.

btw, iswww always seem to be cheapest on meters, and I've had no problem with the two purchases I've made from them, though of course "other suppliers are available"

Gavin

Thanks Gavin,

Oddly enough, I think I replied to a thread of yours ages ago when you were making up your mind to say I hadn't heard anything bad against the megger (while I'd had heard a few complaints about the flukes and metrels), Still haven't heard of any one having any major complaints against the megger, but I'd thought I'd ask here just incase, etc

As for the IT stuff, its great when it works and a pain in the arse when it doesn't! Usually results in me swearing a lot until I've worried out what I've done wrong (or what bug is stopping it from working!) Though sometimes I enjoy the challenge... at least thats what I tell people when they try and tell me that setting up the server 2003 evaluation on a 4 computer (+laptop) home network is overkill :LOL:

Adam,

I would suggest you try before you buy.

I use Megger with a Martindale kit as backup and don't see a great deal between them. There is nothing wrong with Fluke, although there was a problem with croc clips a while back.

Check what your college uses, and familiarise yourself with that kit.
You then have a benchmark when deciding for yourself. You should also consider separates. The convenience of an MFT is great until it breaks and you cannot do any testing.

It's a hefty outlay, especilally for somebody still at college, so don't jump into it.

Sponsored Links
adam,

i have the mft1502 which is basically ther same minus the auto rcd test. ive found it an excellent bit of kit to use, its very user friendly and has some nice features and is so easy to use. the probe is good with the nice light which comes in handy, also the leads are decent and easy to configure. it also wont IR test if voltage is detected and wont loop without the presence of an earth. in my opinion, a couple of nice extra safety features.

Ive used the fluke before (1632 i think) and it was ok but i much preferred the megger. the alphatek instruments ive used i found to be a pain. wasn impressed at all.

and..... when my megger did break (continuity readings went mental) they repaired it within 10 days and the megger area rep even lent me a 1552 for that duration free of charge no questions asked (he never saw my machine as it was sent to company i bought it from who passed it on to megger when they had confirmed the repair was beyond them)

very good customer services in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back