melted connector block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced three LV ceiling spots with 240V LED units and discovered this slightly concerning connection :eek: There were three lamps daisy chained off the transformer but looks like that should have been ok for the transformer (although when I've replaced others like this they've had individual transformers). It was wired using quite thin flex - 0.75mm? The screws were tight so it looks like the problem was the neutral in the connector block was not twisted at all so only a few strands were under the screw, most of it was around the sides of the screw and there would have been about 5A through this connector.

lights.png

Sponsored Links
Are you able to cut the burnt wire and strip back some new without leaving it taut?

The halogen bulbs are now obsolete (and expensive to run). This may be a good time to change to LED bulbs.

Sponsored Links
You it seems need to renew the wiring anyway as there is no earth, and even if the new 230 volt (low voltage) lamps are class II you still need to run an earth to them, been like that since 1966.

The 12 volt lamps (extra low voltage) with quartz lamps took a lot more current to new lamps even if ELV, the major problem is the electronic transformer has a minimum output so although staying with 12 volt would mean no earth required it likely will need a new power supply.

ELV can be colour changing, dimming, and variable colour temperature with the smart versions, but LV are simply on/off, maybe some can be dimmed, but depends on design of power supply and lamp, so where possible better to move to LV (230 volt) but all depends on how easy to rewire.

Yes personally I would be tempered to use class II without an earth, but I am saying what the regulations say, as so easy further down the line to find you want to rent the home and it fails the EICR.

So if you’ve changed to GU10 LEDs, have you ensured Earth continuity to all lamps ?

I replaced the 2 core flex from the transformer to the old 12 volt lamps with T&E. The new LED fittings had no earth connections so just terminated the sleeved earths into a normal connector block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back