MEM Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick one....

I have an old MEM fuse box in my house, that I know to be about 26 years old.

The fuses look a bit like the ones you find in 13A plugs, and clip into a carrier which then clips into the fuse box.

Is it possible to change the fuse carries for something else, for example a push button reset unit without changing the entire fuse box??

I suspect the answer is no, but I thought i'd ask anyway!!

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
There used to be some availble similar to the Wylex ones, but you would only find them second hand now.

Changing the fuses to MCB's does not really achieve anything though, you really need to change the fuseboard to provide RCD protection to circuits as appropriate.

Sponsored Links
Don't engage in the wasted expense of fitting MCBs into that old fusebox then.

While a 5A plugtop fuse will fit in the 5A carrier, it should not be fitted, it is to a different british standard (plugtop fuses are to BS1362, while cartridge fuses for fuseboards are to BS1361), has a different fusing factor, breaking capacity and is very slightly different in size.

still... not quite as bad as finding a 13A plug fuse, or fusewire in there...

Ok, I once fitted a plug top fuse in a 5 amp lighting fuse carrier.

What are the implications & should I feel guilty? (It was a rented flat that I have since moved out of).

The BS1361 fuses (pictured above) are still easily obtainable and widely used, so you should have no problem picking up spares.

And, TBH, if you feel you need to replace the fuses so often, perhaps you should concern yourself with finding the reason why!

Best bet is to replace the obsolete fuseboard - the rip-off prices they charge for 5amp fuses is unbeliveable - GBP One Pound for a 5amp fuse, yet a five amp plug fuse costs five to a pound. No wonder many people forced a 5amp plug fuse into their lighting fuse holders! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It was never a good idea to use such a fuseboard in a domestic setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back