Membrane is flaking away - what are my options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AFter a recent visit to my loft I discovered that much of the membrane between the batons and rafters Has flaked away or in a state where is flakes away at the touch.

I wonder what my options are? I really do not want (can't afford) to,have the tiles ripped off and the membrane re-laid and wonder exactly what the point of the membrane is, is it simply a basic draft excluder in which case would squeezing polystyrene sheets between the rafters do the job?

Sponsored Links
There are thousands of (plain) tile roofs out there that exist without membrane and are probably healthier for it.

Lofts are meant to be drafty.

Only downside is the loft space gets messy and the Christmas deccies get dusty.

Thanks for the reassurance
Not just the Xmas deckies...... There's the suitcases But on seeing the loft, I've covered them in plastic bags!

Ronob, Hi

Sorry to ask but is the "membrane" a felt type material or a "board" like product?

Ken

Sponsored Links
It is felt like. Although when bits break off it look like it is a very thin material like a bandage, that has been sandwiched between a papery substance. Before it broke up I thought it might have been something you could buy in the 60's call pitch paper for wallpapering over damp patches. But I don't think there is any kind of bitumin layer unless it's dried out and gone brittle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back