Memory stick loses files but not folders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

My memory stick has suddenly shown folders only. Yet, no files, like word, individual photos, music tracks or pdf files. All gone.
I am really disturbed about this. Usually careful, I would not delete in this manner.
Please help
Regards

Sponsored Links
Hidden files filter switched on?
Otherwise, do you have a backup system enabled to fetch files from the stick rather than replicate them to backup drive?

Sounds like the file table has been corrupted. I have recovered files from a stick before using a raw data reader then a recovery tool on a pc.

You have to backup your backup ad infinitum. Digital archiving will always fail.

In 1000 years time (assuming humankind still exists) every digital storage device in existence today will have long since failed but we will still have physical photographs.

Sponsored Links
Did you buy it on ebay??

Test it with h2testw... (https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows)

You can find that that a drive might report as say 32GB but it actually only contains say 8GB of memory. It mis-reports and the first you know about it is when you start loosing files...

Nozzle

Chalky, hidden files is on. Re your other question,I simply use several mem sticks had hard drives.
I'll check what a raw data redaer is.
Any more ideas.
Thanks everyone

I had luck recovering data from a corrupted SSD a couple of year ago using the following. It's free to scan for lost data. If you need to recover a large amount then you have to use the paid version:

Last edited:
Did you buy it on ebay??

Test it with h2testw... (https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows)

You can find that that a drive might report as say 32GB but it actually only contains say 8GB of memory. It mis-reports and the first you know about it is when you start loosing files...

Nozzle

Some of the sellers on Ebay sell genuine ones, but when I buy, as soon as delivered - I do an h2testw on them. If that proves a fake, I save the report, and claim a refund passing the report to the seller.

In 1000 years time (assuming humankind still exists) every digital storage device in existence today will have long since failed but we will still have physical photographs.
Always assuming that they were printed on acid free paper, never exposed to light, kept dry and never attacked by book lice, carpet beetles, clothes moths, mice or rats!

Sponsored Links
Back