Memory upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

I need to upgrade my computer memory as I keep getting a message saying system resources are dangerously low.
I checked my memory and it seems I have only 8% free, the computer is a Mesh Matrix DDR 1400GT, 256MB PC2100 DDR memory with an Athlon DDR 266MHz motherboard.
I have two DDR slots(one being taken up by the 256 module) is it a case of simply adding an extra module of say 512MB or 1GB, do I need to do anything else ??
Also there are three empty slots next to these and according to the manual they are DIMM Sockets, can anyone enlighten me on what these are actually used for ??? ( I am the one who is DIMM )

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No you arnt dimm ;)

dimms are older types of memory, some boards took both ddr and dimms, you cant mix and match. You will notice that from the 3 empty slots that one is slightly different, this is for DDR. You can pop another 2700 in there, depending on the board, there may be a max limit but 512 should be fine.

Thanks for that reply eggplant, just read the Asus motherboard manual which states a max of 2GB is permitted so I guess I will stick a 1GB in the empty slot and leave the 256MB.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Have to agree the Crucial website is excellent, even if you have limited knowledge of computers the site guides you through all aspects of upgrading your memory with a handy tool that looks at your machine and tells you which unit to order to the detailed installation guide that comes with the memory, definitely a site to recommend.

Thanks once again all,

Information greatly appreciated, Crucial website is excellent, I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card which is a 64MB Nvidia Geforce MX2 (128 bit bus) TV out. Crucials scan could not pick it up. any ideas ??

Back