Mend Wallpaper or Strip & re-plaster???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I live in a victorian conversion and trying to re-decorate my bedroom.

Current secenario

1. Painted Lining wallpaper, jointing is exposed and areas where the paper is coming away.
2. Ceiling is papered and again jointing is exposed.
3. Skirting boards painted.
4. Floor boards are stripped and varnished.

A local tradesman has suggested that not to strip and re-plaster but to mend the wallpaper by cutting out the joints and refilling. He also suggested any undulations or marks he would also fill and sand back. Then re-piant the walls.

He has also said that he would only burn off the skirting board paint where necessary and to expose any features where paint is too thick.

My position is to strip everything back and start again but he says he can bring it up to a high finish and that we don't need to go that far.

What are peoples thoughts? Is this a viable option? And will it last or will we be just repairing the wallpaper in a years time?

And lastly would people recommend to strip and varnish floors yourself or is it for the professional?

Many Thanks in advance for replies

Elaine

Sponsored Links
And will it last or will we be just repairing the wallpaper in a years time?

Y ou have answered your own question there...i was thinking that even bevfore i got to the bottom of the page.

Ceiling joints going...wall joints going..there must be a reason and whats solved now vcould be a problem next year and your money will be wasted

The guy sounds like hes trying to save you a few quid...which is decent of him but if its in your budget to have it stripped and start again

You may find theres an underlying problem why the paper is loose...like distemper.

As for stripping the floors..beleive me its serious hard graft, I did one and ached for a week!

Forget the pictures in the hire shops people smiling away while pushing a sanding machine effortlessly across the floor like a vacume cleaner!!...they weigh about 70 odd pounds!

Get someone you dont like to do it!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back