Mercedes 208d gearbox oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just changed the oil in the van gearbox. It's a 208d pre-sprinter. Specified oil is sae 80. I decided to use fully synthetic 75-90 but have since been advised that this is wrong. Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Oops forgot to mention it's a 2.3 diesel on 213k miles.

but the oil you used was listed as a gearbox oil, by a reputable maker?

who told you it was wrong?

Synthetics are designed to cost more and last longer in engines between changes, I don't know if there is a benefit in gearboxes.

I usually check the spec on a page like
https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oils-lubricants/lubematch.html#iframe=L2di

as the recommendations in handbooks get superseded as oil tech moves on. The vehicle maker should know best, and only the oil company benefits from you buying a more expensive grade. On-time changes are more important.

Some vehicles (e.g. motorcycles with wet clutch) must not use modern low-friction oils.

Viscosity wise, all is well.
The things to be aware of in this situation are the letters E.P (extreme pressure) and Hypoid. Both are additives specially required in transmissions - hypoid being an axle lube. Neither of these additives are suitable in engines.
Double check your gearbox requirements once more!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the replies, yes it's g-force by tetrosyl and ep and hypoid. The guy behind the counter reccommended mineral 80- 90 and tetrosyl said afterwards that only ep 80 could be reccommended. I've previously used fully synthetic in an old 405 peugeot g/box without probs though! Thanks again guys.

Back