Mercedes 220 2011 brake disc wear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has bought this from a rather back street garage for £11,000 !

It is alleged to have a mileage of just 40,000.

The discs have quite a lot of wear. I have not measured it but it would not surprise me if its 2 mm on each side.

Many main dealers seem to have a very low threshold of wear before they insist on changing them. Anyone know what the Merc wear allowable on this model will be?

It also seems to me to be a lot of wear for 40k miles? Or is that normal?

Any comments ?

She has a "guarantee" for six months and I wonder how many would think that amount of wear should mean she try to get the discs replaced under that "guarantee"?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Discs do tend to wear very quickly these days - due not least to the non asbestos friction material used in the pads. There will be a minimum thickness stated for the disc and I'd very much doubt if they have worn that far......however there is likely to be more scoring etc on the disc inner face, where you can't easily see.
Also, as brakes are a 'consumable' item, and presumably they aren't likely to fail within the warranty period, they won't be covered for this.
John :)

I'd be more concerned about why the car was cheap . Any service history ? HPI clear? Retired minicab?

I don't think it was very cheap.

Saw a nice 2013 model with 42 k for £13,000 which seems pretty comparable.

She seems pretty unconcerned about it. Has not even bothered to send me the reg so I can check the mileage history on the MOTs.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That price is about right.....these cars are hardly scarce these days, and it's only the very recent ones that are in the main dealers.
John :)

Back