Mercedes diesel van start up and after 10 minuets goes off ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mercedes 311 diesel van start up fine and after 10 minuets goes off and what ever I do it won't start!!! what's wrong with it?

Sponsored Links
could be a few things, try...

1) check fuel shut off solenoid valve is operating when problem is present.
2) ensure water is drained from fuel filter.
3) renew fuel filter and check fuel line from tank is clear
4) check fuel supply at injectors
5) check fuel tank vent is not blocked,trapped or collapsed,if suspect,leave
fuel filler cap off to see if it runs o.k.

if it's none of these,look to your fuel pump for malfunction. :eek:

thanks for your reply. I'm going to check it now but before I go late me tall the full story! :eek:
I haven't run the van for long time at last 6 months!!! the other day when I start it was fine but as soon as I press the gas a little it went off and never cam back on. so I left it and than I tried yesterday this time came on fin again but I did not press the gas I thought to live it to warm up, was working fine for 10-15 minutes than want off and it wouldn't start no matter how much I swore at it. so that was the story. now I'm gone start checking what you suggested.
thank you

Agree with everything johnfishing said, it could also be waxing of the fuel. Diesel has additives added in the winter at the refinery to stop waxing, (like a clumping of the fuel in the tank caused by the cold) if you haven't used the van for 6 months it will have summer grade diesel in it. This can cause these problems, the clumps of fuel float around in the tank can block the pick up pipe.

If this is the problem you should fill the tank with winter grade diesel or if it is already full you could try putting in a small(say about 1/2 a pint of petrol, which will break down the waxing.

Sponsored Links
you may have a point there, I just come back in, same think happened again. start the van everything was fine after few minutes slowly press the gas, was fine. but after 10 minutes went off and didn't come back on. if I live it for couple of hours it would start and same again. its like fuel come to fuel filter or somewhere and when I start it its burning that fuel and when its Finnish there is no more fuel to Burn. I'm gone do what you suggest add winter grade diesel it may do the trick. I was going to change the fuel filter but I do this first.
thanks a lot guys.

Back