Mercury lamps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install one 80watt mercury lamp outside on its own circuit. Its fed by a 10m length of swa and Teed off to a 10m length of 2.5mm swa. The T is so i can add another light later on.

My question is as this is a dedicated circuit, what size breaker should i use? i know the lamp in only 80w but i don't know if it was high start up current or anything I'm overlooking.

for those curious the cable run looks like this:

CU-----4mm SWA--------Junction box for optional light
|
|
2.5mm SWA
|
|
Junction box for 80w mercury lamp

The lamps shall be connected the the junction boxes via artic blue cable, and appropiate glands used.....

edit: my pic doesn't work too well! the 2.5mm SWA should be joining the 4mm swa. not comming straight from the CU

Sponsored Links
just use a 6A type B as you would on a normal lighting cuircuit

your cable rating is plenty high enough for it and its giving plenty of room for inrush currents

Why use mercury, seems a strange choice, most people prefer Metal Halide lamps for the same purpose, from what I'd heard they're becoming less popular.

Of course, who needs to bother with a lamp fitting when you can just have a microwave do the job?
http://apache.airnet.com.au/~fastinfo/microwave/highp/sodium.html

Some people have way too much time on their hands, and way too many lamps and microwaves to ruin...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back