Metabo SXE450 Sander - Faulty - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my Metabo SXE450 orbital sander (240v) about a year ago second hand.

I'd like to keep it going because that's why I buy good quality tools, you can get parts.

Last used to sand for a couple of hours but next day it was not starting.

So when I press the power button it sometimes works. There is also power level dial and a Turbo switch for increased power. Testing involves moving all these switches to get some life but it's not clear if it's having any effect.

My question is ... is it likely to just be the main power switch button, how can I test to isolate a problem. A switch is about £10 which I'm happy to buy and change but I'd be interested to get some advice from others.

Haven't had time to open it up to try a contact cleaner, I only dismantled the lower sanding housing to clear it up and change the pad when I bought it.

Advice much appreciated though

Sponsored Links
Is it brushless or does it have carbon brushes fitted?
If it has brushes that would be my first check. Don't just look at them in situ. Take them out and check their length and if they move freely in the brush boxes.

Last edited:
Cheers Conny, it's old fashioned brushes.

Yes I did wonder about that but I just thought that would be more of a low power thing. I can't remember what it was like the last time I had a brush problem tbh!

But sure that's something to add to the dismantel checks.

I'd make that your first check. Seems the brushes are not quite making contact with the comm and the intermittent starting could be caused by simple atmospheric changes. i.e. just enough humidity in the air to bridge the gap to start it then it stops because the humidity has dried slightly. Sounds daft and unlikely but it has been known to happen. Doesn't happen often before the gap actually increases and the unit simply won't start.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the flex? From long experience I know that Bosch jigsaws suffer from the cvable clamp actually cutting through the witres inside the flex just inside the tool handle. The solution is to shorted the flex and remake the connections until the next time

At a year old, though, surely Metabo would take it as a warranty repair?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the flex? From long experience I know that Bosch jigsaws suffer from the cvable clamp actually cutting through the witres inside the flex just inside the tool handle. The solution is to shorted the flex and remake the connections until the next time

At a year old, though, surely Metabo would take it as a warranty repair>

Quite agree but it was bought second hand so we have no idea of it's true age unless the OP got the paperwork from the seller.

The date of manufacture should be on the rating plate somewhere (it became mandatory about 20 years ago - and the tool isn't that old unless it's an SXE450 Duo as opposed to the SXE450 TurboTec). These are fairly heavy duty tools, so I'd tend to go looking at the easy fixes first, i.e plug, flex (particularly the ends), brushes, muck inside the casing, etc before anything else. If it is the switch then it will be a fairly inexpensive part (part 32, circa £11) as it isn't a slider type variable spreed switch like you have in a cordless drill (and which tend to cost in the £40 to £50 range) just an on-off type - the speed control is done by the rotary speed unit (part 20, circa £30).

Metabo SXE450 Parts Diagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Guys

Made 2017, (TurboTec) used by me less than a year I'd say and not very much.

Yes that was the site I was thinking to get parts, looked best.

When I get a mo, I'll investigate those flex ends, and dismantle to check the brushes and look for signs of gunk.

When I bought it one thing I had to do was clean up to loosen the button to switch the two orbit sizes. It seemed to be gunked with a hardened varnish like stuff ...
unlikely to make it's way into the to area but we'll see!!

Nice quotes Jobandknock

I would be looking at the switch and rotary dial to begin with. For testing purposes you could bypass it and see what happens.

If checking the flex- years ago I had a dust extractor that started becoming intermittent. I stripped it down and confirmed that there was power running through the live cable- I stoopidly forgot to check continuity on the neutral. In the end I discovered that there was a break on the neutral about 15cm from where the flex enters the machine.

I don't think it is related to muck inside the tool. I would expect that to make the machine hum as it tried but failed to turn the motor.

Worn brushes should make a grinding noise as they hit the commutator- some tools such as Festool products have sprung loaded plastic inserts that will reach the surface as the carbon brush wears down and stop the machine working (thereby protecting the commutator).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back