Metal dimmer switch

I don't think it was a dimmable light switch no but I took the bulb out and the power was still tripping out.

So could my wiring have been wrong? Should I have had the 2 red in COM and the black in L1? There was also a L2 terminal on the switch should I have maybe terminated a red wire in there?
If this light switch controls one light and no other switch controls that light then I will say again (third time?) two reds in com and one black in L1.
If more than one light switch controls the same lamp - we need photographs of the cables at the rear of both light switches.
If there is only one switch for the lamp then get a normal switch that works and wire it as I have outlined above and tell us what happens.
Either that or buy a multi-meter, learn how to use it, and identify which conductor(s) is/are live and which are switch live.

Sponsored Links
Well if I wire a normal switch that way then it is obviously going to work only the switch will be in a different on/off position right?

I'll wire the dimmer the way you said and see what happens thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back