Metal light fittings and earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when you have the brown and blue wire only how can you earth your metal spot lamp? There is no aerth to use. The live and neutrla come from the the wall where an old spot was so I can easily change the cable. I ma new to this !!

Sponsored Links
If you're saying that the light comes with a flex with brown & blue and no earth, then it probably doesn't need one - look for a symbol on it of one square inside another - this means it's double insulated and must not be earthed. If this is the case, then just connect the brown & blue up, and if the supply has an earth conductor then make this safe by sleeving it (with green/yellow) and either bending it in half to keep the sleeving in place or putting a single bit of choc-block on the end.

If, however, what you mean is that the supply for your light doesn't have an earth, and the light needs one then you must trace the supply cable back to where it's connected to the lighting circuit and replace it with a cable which does have an earth conductor. If your lighting circuit has no earth then I'm afraid you won't be able to connect up the light (or have metal light switches) until the electrics have been rewired...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back