Metal light fittings...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many of the light fittings in my house are metal (none of the switches are though). The house was built in the 60's and has no earth on the lighing circuits.

Is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Many of the light fittings in my house are metal (none of the switches are though). The house was built in the 60's and has no earth on the lighing circuits.

Is this acceptable?

No.

You should consider a rewire, but in the more immediate term, if any of the fittings are within easy reach you should certainly change them for a standard rose + pendant holder or some other double insulated fitting.

Hopefully you don't have any metal switchplates? If so, would recommend they be changed for plastic immediately.

The git probably thought they will never be touched, but if the loop in junction is inside the fitting and they are not earthed you could potentialy get a shock every time you change a bulb :(

In the meantime, you should protect your unearthed lighting circuits with an RCD.

Sponsored Links
In the meantime, you should protect your unearthed lighting circuits with an RCD.

er...the fuses have all been replaced by MCB's (2 * 5 for lights, 2 * 32 for ring and 45 for shower circuits) but the original on/off remains.

The light fittings (there are 3....all with 50w halogen bulbs) are connected with the wires which originally went to the ceiling rose going to the terminal block on the fitting. I have just checked all of them and are all fitted correctly.

I what circumstanses could they become 'live' other than say a worn wire. A bulb blowing could not cause this? Indeed when a bulb does blow it always trips the MCB....is this normal

Thanks

Steve

er...the fuses have all been replaced by MCB's (2 * 5 for lights, 2 * 32 for ring and 45 for shower circuits) but the original on/off remains.

This is not the same as an RCD. MCBs are for overcurrent protection, an RCD provides protection against earth faults. It looks at the current flowing in the live and neutral conductors at the CU, and if they differ by a set amount (usually 30mA) then this indicates a fault down to earth, and it trips. This isn't an alternative to having a CPC on your lighting circuit, but it would be better than nothing.

I what circumstanses could they become 'live' other than say a worn wire. A bulb blowing could not cause this? Indeed when a bulb does blow it always trips the MCB....is this normal

It's very unlikely a blown lamp would cause a metal fitting to become live. However, lampholders can often come loose on fittings, and so it's entirely possible that when changing a lamp you could inadvertently cause the metalwork to become live.

It's really not a matter of 'if'. Your lighting circuit should not have metal accessories without an earth connection, so your two options are to replace the accessories and fittings with plastic ones, or rewire the lighting circuit one way or another. It would seem pointless retrofitting a CPC when the wiring may be nearly 50 years old.

Hmm...

Thanks for the replies.

Would a spark just rewire the lighing circuits for me....or would they insist that the main ring is also done? The ring circuits are fine and since the ground floor is solid the downstairs sockets are fed from the void between the ground and first floor and channelled into the walls (this would then need a full redecoration...which we have just done!) Whereas the lighting would be easy by lifting floorboards and roof access.

The house is a standard 60's semi.
I have noticed that the ring circuits are
1 The kitchen wall sockets where the cooker point is (and the cooker point)

2 The rest of the house (including the other side of the kitchen)

S

ie not upstairs/downtairs split

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back