metal patress mounted on wooden batten in plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have taken the front off s socket inb the bedroom which was on the **** a bit.

I have got a new patress ro go in but in will need to be mounted onto the existing wooden batten which has been nailed to the stud wall wooden frame. will this be ok??

also, when i have fitted the patress, whats the best thing to fill around it with as the hole is bigger than the socket front. dont really want to pack it with plaster but there must be something i can use.

cheers

Sponsored Links
If the gap is large enough push a piece of larger stiff card in with a piece of strong cotton through the centre tied to a matchstick on the other side. Gently pull this up to the back edge of the hole and fill with polyfilla/board finish plaster etc. When it is dry snip the cotton off flush and sand smooth.
Repeat on all sides where there is a gap.
Trying to fill a hole without blocking up in this manner will take packets and packets of filler.

Sponsored Links
If the gap is large enough push a piece of larger stiff card in with a piece of strong cotton through the centre tied to a matchstick on the other side. Gently pull this up to the back edge of the hole and fill with polyfilla/board finish plaster etc. When it is dry snip the cotton off flush and sand smooth.
Repeat on all sides where there is a gap.
Trying to fill a hole without blocking up in this manner will take packets and packets of filler.

come again!!!? :oops: so i push the card into the hole, then pull it back up flush with the edge of the hole, fill/skim and sand smooth???

cheersd

foam is a bad idea.. it's not friendly to the cable..

yes, push a piece of flat, stiff cardboard ( corugated is good ) that is larger than the hole to be filled in one direction, into the hole and pull it flat against the back of the plasterboard..

this gives you a backing to push the filler against..

If you think COLJACK and I are giving you the bumsrush get your hands on a decent DIY book. It's one of the oldest 'tricks' going.

hole is bigger than patress, and was put in by a blind man!!

as to why a dry lining box wasnt used, i am unable to answer that, as the previous owner is 6 feet under. sorry :oops:

did the cardboard trick, and skimmed the edges with filler. worked a treat!!! thanks guys!!

cheers

george

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back