Mounting wall light to wooden panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've purchased some wall lights that I'm hoping to create two wooden bedside panels to fit them which I can plug into the wall. Which seems straightforward enough.

However I want to add lights switches on each panel, similar to what hotels do.
So a piece of MDF with batten to elevate from wall. the wall light fitted to it with hole drilled through to hide cables behind.

The light fixture have earth cable because they're metal, if I use a wall light switch what do I do with the earth wire? As these are normally attached to back plate of the socket.

Ideally I wanted to use a 16A rocker switch so I can place it on the side of the panel discreetly but not sure how I'd wire this.

Any ideas, suggestions welcome

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm planning to hit use a 3amp fuse plug and daisy chain the two lamps. I just wasn't sure what to do with the earth wire on the switch.

Securespark the switch I was looking as is similar to what you get in cars. Although the one you've just shown looks like a good alternative to traditional switch.

This is the rocker switch I was referring to... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/everel-16...9d?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CN-3obCUj9ACFcsV0wodw-0P1w

The earth doesn't connect to the switch itself, it needs to carry on and be connected to the earth connection on the light.

Ps. IMO That Maplin switch would look great in your car, but I wouldn't want it by my bedside!

Perfect so i'll run the earth wire from the light straight through to the plug and the switch will just have Live and Neutral running through it.

i'm going to use the architrave light switch now that I know you can buy something like this :)

Thanks for all your help, glad I took the plunge to post on here as its really useful information

I assumed it would as In-line switches have neutral running through it, but i'll be sure to check the wiring diagram before I blow myself up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back