Metal Polishing help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys n gals,

I've started a project which is turning out to be a messy affair. I wanted to strip some anodised aluminium back to the metal and then polish it to a mirrored finish. So far I've been using a combination of oven cleaner (to strip off the anodised layer, then heavy sandpaper to light sandpaper. It's a very messy process and most of all its very time consuming.

So my question is what is the quickest way to do it? I was going to invest in a metal buffer/polisher but I'm not sure what's the best to go for then what I need in terms of accessories such as polishing mops/cutting compounds etc. I'd like to do this as cheap as possible but looking at all options really.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
may be worth taking it to a metal polishers by the time you have bought all the gear,have a look in your yellow pages

Have to say I agree with ch427,try a local polishers,those home kits aren't up to much,plus you'll end up sha*ging your electric drill in the process,I might be wrong, but a polisher will just polish off the anodising as part of the job,may be worth getting the item lacquered though unless you have shares in solvo autosol :LOL:

Sponsored Links
anodizing is a process of electric changing of the aluminum surface creating a hard or soft surface depending on the power and time used.
try in a small area first liquid plummer or other liquid drain cleaner be careful caustic (wear glasses and gloves) after it sits for a few minutes wipe clean and rinse well if left to long aluminum will etech.
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back