Engineered Wood Floor-What to apply for the 'finished' look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were originally in the market for laminate but this was a bit of an impulse buy (end of line from a supplier no longer in the business) so really didn't look much into it before buying it.. :oops:

The flooring in question is the Tarkett Salsa Ultraloc in Merbau Flooring..Laid in the hall way and Lounge area (a lot of traffic) Upon purchase, I didn't realise it was 'finished' with a hard wearing lacquer and then the guy installing it (limited English) said it'll have to be finished by us.. so I really did think it was unfinshed etc... but after looking at the brochure (right at the bottom of it) it looks like the job's already been done on the factory floor! However, it just looks a bit lack lustre and a tad gormless now it's all been laid.. doesn't gleam like a new floor...is it cos i haven't used any wood cleaner on it or sommat..?

I've googled forever about this and decided to go with 'oiling' the (engineered wood) floor and then waxing it afterwards (protect from wear/ tear) or is the hard wax the better option?

Should I oil it? and then wax it? Or just leave well alone? (I really want it to look nice, so am very willing to put in the elbow grease)

If I need to , then I'm hoping to opt for the 'oil' finish.. better in the long run, and it'll enhance its natural look although I have no idea about..

1. Which oil , or wax to go for? .. or how to apply!?
2. The type of oil to go for..waterbased or..? - I want the colour to remain as it is, just wanna coat in sommat transparent- just to give it a bit of sparklen..
3. Can one buff an engineered floor afterwards? (I have a car polisher/ buffer) and intend to use that.. will it work?!

I've read about Treatex here somewhere - should I buy some of that for cleaning as I understand water/ mopping should be minimal?

What do I do with this?!

HERE are the stats of the floor..well, 'features' ...

ANY help / guidance very much appreciated :cool:

Sponsored Links
Hi
Your links don't seem to work but I have found the product anyway.
The product you have bought is already lacquered, and in a domestic house that should be enough to last for 5 -10 years unless it has been scratched or damaged during installation.
It would seem a bit of a waste to sand away what should be a very durable top coat layer and some wood unless you really have to. If you do decide it needs removing we can look at how to do it and what to use later.

Your first step is to clean the floor thoroughly. As this is a lacquered floor you have to clean it with products designed for lacquered floors. Yes you can use a buffer but it should only ever be a slow speed machine using very soft pads..
1/ Vacuum the floor of grit etc.
2/ I use a product called "Bona Remover" when I need to remove surface residue. Dilute 5:1 then spray a mist onto the floor and give it a minute to work, hand buff the floor with a white or red nylon pad, then wipe the surface dry with a microfibre cloth and hopefully whatever is making your floor look dull will be gone.
3/ Possibly you then need to treat the floor with a polish, this will give you a bit more sheen if you want it.

Cheers
TT

Thanks for your input tall_tone - Oh, I didn't realise I'd have to sand before I oil..doh! In which case, I will leave it be. I think that goes to say that I shouldn't / can't wax it either? (not that I need to, I don't think)

I have just googled Bona Remover and it looks to be a 'polish remover'..is this really the one you use(?) as there is also a Bona Cleaner on their web page too..

What about Treatex Hardwax Oil Traditional Cleaning and Maintenance? No idea if good, but it's been promoted in previous thread(s)

Which cleaner should I use with this engineered lacquered floor?

Which polish is good to use after cleaning the floor with whichever product is recommended?

The dead links in my first post: - copy and past jobbie as I really can't figure out how to do clciky 'links'!

Brochure: http://home.tarkett.com/productimag...ments/Brochures/BR_INT_LD_Salsa_Bravo_001.pdf

Tarkett Floor Stats: http://www.nagleflooring.co.uk/product_Merbau-Nature_57_index.php

IMHO your floor just needs a bit of TLC (or in other words: regular maintenance)
Use a cleaner suitable for your type of floor, such as EcoLine (VOC_free) Wash-care (can be used every fortnight) and after the first time you use this, follow with EcoLine Wax-care Spray - after the first treatment you only have to apply the spray every 4 - 5 months, NOT after every time you moist clean the floor

For more maintenance tips, see our article on this here

Sponsored Links
Great stuff WoodYouLike, that helps a lot (I need stuff to be spelt out to me!)

ohh...It looks like I can only mail order the ecoline products..I wanted to have it all done this weekend as the room has been emptied and the furniture stored in our dining room..god forbid if we get unexpected guests meanwhile!

Is there anything on the high street that will cater for my (new floors) needs?

For general cleaning, I bought a steam mop about 6months ago for our previous laminate- I take it that's a no-no with this floor? Or is it..?

Will go and have a read of the leaflet (actually, Im sure I signed on for the tips email thingie last night.. wonder if it's gone to my spam folder?!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back