Metal Post Spike

Sponsored Links
that or a block of wood, which will be cheaper. To be honest though they are a waste of time and money. do the job properly, dig a hole and concrete the post in. Sorry but i put up fences for a living and part of that involves ripping down crap ones, and ones with the metpost spikes are top of that list.

that or a block of wood, which will be cheaper.

Be careful if you just use some handy chunk of wood as if you biff it too hard it will split and force it's way down through the spike and be an absolute b*****d to get out again. (Done that :( ).

proper way to fix a post is to use sand so the post dont rot at the top of concrete level where the water collects and rots the post.only downside is they do need re tamping every few eeks until it get compacted down and then will last for years more than concreted posts.

Sponsored Links
yeah but most customers wont accept that! ive got posts we did that with at my yard, where we used mot, and they are rock solid

proper way to fix a post is to use sand so the post dont rot at the top of concrete level where the water collects and rots the post.only downside is they do need re tamping every few eeks until it get compacted down and then will last for years more than concreted posts.

What do you mean exectly?

Do you put the post in the hole and then fill hole with sand which you keep compacting. Or do you mean use concrete with sand on top?

Do you put the post in the hole and then fill hole with sand which you keep compacting.

yes,every few days/weeks,depending on rainfall etc.if you live on the site then its fine but if youre erecting a fence for someone else not really practical.one other point to consider is if youre using tall panels and theres a strong wind your fence may look a little worse for wear.the plus side is you should be able to just replumb and compact again.your posts WILL last years longer tho.

if you have lots to do you could consider hiring a post holer but you will need a friend to help you.

Do you put the post in the hole and then fill hole with sand which you keep compacting.

yes,every few days/weeks,depending on rainfall etc.if you live on the site then its fine but if youre erecting a fence for someone else not really practical.one other point to consider is if youre using tall panels and theres a strong wind your fence may look a little worse for wear.the plus side is you should be able to just replumb and compact again.your posts WILL last years longer tho.

Have I slipped into an alternate reality during xmas day? Are you seriously suggesting using a sand-filled hole to support a post just so it doesn't rot? Why not use candyfloss - that'd look prettier at least.... sheesh.

There are a lot of variables when putting up fence posts, so as it's Christmas, lets not get involved in another debate on the issue, and agree to disagree. ;)

Let's not, eh? People come here for GOOD advice......

I think I must have missed the point of the question, so I will bow out. Too much "red" over xmas, I imagine.....

peace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back