Post and rail fencing - post spikes and digging post holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting contradictory advice about this. For securing posts in a post and rail fence, should I use metal post spikes? Or simply drive the posts into the ground (assuming they themselves are spiked of course!)?

Sponsored Links
Well treated heavy duty posts straight into the ground will last a good while - but longer still if you concrete them in!
Personally I don't find Metposts particularly satisfactory.
John :)

Posts like this are all well and good - in ideal conditions as the mortices have to be kept level.
Therefore, you have to anticipate each post going into the ground the same amount......awkward as there may be rock beneath the subsoil, or if the ground isn't particularly well consolidated the posts may need to go in further than 2'.
Personally I buy well treated, pointed posts - usually 4"x4" and longer than you really need, bash or concrete them in and then saw the tops off level.
For post holes, a thin long spade called a 'spit' is the one to use.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Unless you are psychic and know there are no stones in the way I can't see how you would bash a post into the ground 2ft odd and expect it to be either straight or get shuffled off centre by stones etc.

i find the roughneck post hole digger very useful, but my soil is so heavy that really it can only be used to lift out pre-loosened soil. for digging post holes I find the roughneck digging bar ideal, then use the post-hole digger after that to empty out the hole. in my experience much quicker and easier than a spade. and makes much better holes.

"roughneck digging bar" -> sounds like a serious bit of kit! :D

It doesn't look like you'll get much leverage with those post hole diggers, I must say.

"roughneck digging bar" -> sounds like a serious bit of kit! :D

it certainly is. i certainly wouldn't use it wearing flip flops. the best thing about it, for me, is that it is so heavy that once you have lifted it up, it smashes through pretty much everything (including toes, i would have thought) on the way down. I think I got mine (digging bar and posthole digger) at Toolstation, about £30 each or thereabouts.

If it has good topography and the soil is good, then, you won't have a hard time putting up your rail fence. Railing posts on the deck are usually enough but if you ask me, metal posts can strengthen your fence.

ive just done a small 20m post and rail fence and i just dug holes out with a very normal spade, put the posts in down to the appropriate height and back filled with stones and soil.. and its completely rigid and will be more so once everything consolidates. i was thinking im going to need to put some concrete down there but im not going to bother for the time being.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back