Metal Rod Sizes For Garden Cloche

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My grandfather had some old garden cloches that were probably from the 1920's or 30's, really old things but were really handy in the garden.

I've been looking online to try find some similar but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that sells this style any more so was thinking of buying some metal rods and bending them to create my own.

I did find some photos on pinterest of ones that are similar but a different design to give you an idea of what kind of bends I'd be needing to make.

IMG-9736-scaled-800x533.jpg

IMG-2992-scaled-800x533.jpg

What thickness of metal rods would I be needing for this?

Sponsored Links
I'd say 6 or 8mm diameter mild steel rods would be fine....however, to get nice round bends like these the rods have to be rolled - a bit like passing things through an old fashioned mangle.
Bending over a knee or whatever won't work very well, I'm afraid.
John :)

some gardeners use poly pipe with straight bits of steel/wood stuck in the ground and the pipe fitted to each upright?

Sponsored Links
I'd say 6 or 8mm diameter mild steel rods would be fine....however, to get nice round bends like these the rods have to be rolled - a bit like passing things through an old fashioned mangle.
Bending over a knee or whatever won't work very well, I'm afraid.

I was thinking the metal might be flexible enough that I could make some sort of wooden form/jig like this to bend it. Is this going to be impossible?

homemade-tube-bending-jig.jpeg

Yes, you can bend round bar like that.
Have you considered the Polypipe suggestion? Dead simple, no rusting.

some gardeners use poly pipe with straight bits of steel/wood stuck in the ground and the pipe fitted to each upright?

I've seen similar. The issue becomes watering with that style of cloche as you need remove the pipe and corrugated sheets (or polythene) every time you need to water, with this metal style you just lift the entire thing up, water and place it right back down. It's a far easier experience, I know it doesn't sound like much of an issue now but when it's February, cold, raining and you have a few to do it's a bit of a pain.

I use poly pipe screwed to a rectangular frame made of roofing battens over the allotment. Very light and you lift the whole frame off to weed/harvest.

A8F8B50C-6483-4E32-B63D-AE1DB0D68171.jpeg

Would think you could bend 6mm rods.

Are you going to weld the cross member to the bent section?

Thinking out aloud, What about flat bar? Something like 30x4mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back