metal sheds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guy's

my two old wood sheds are falling to bits. I'm tired of mending the things and they look both an eyesore (comment on my diy skills??)

Anyway I am hoping to replace the two with one large on. I need one about 12 x 20. I saw 'Yardmaster' as a make and have been looking at them. Has anyone got any experience of these or can recommend another of equal or better quality or value?

I will be having a large concrete slab laid once the weather warms up for it to stand on..

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
just be aware a metal shed will condensate very badly in the winter so not really watertight.

id go for wood myself.just keep it well stained to prevent rotting etc.

just be aware a metal shed will condensate very badly in the winter so not really watertight.

id go for wood myself.just keep it well stained to prevent rotting etc.

yep do not get a metal shed unless you plan to store things not effected by damp and rain as any moisture will evaporate during the day and rain at night from the roof

nightmare to put together and they condensate like hell as already said.

Sponsored Links
I had 1 years ago to store a motorbike, it was so flimsy, not secure (bolts), allowed so much condensation and the doors were pathetic.
I lined the inside with wood panels to give it more ridgity but a wood shed would have been better in the 1st place

we put three up at a school despite having told them timber would be more secure. Take bllomin ages, many of the holes dont line up etc when putting together.

Strangely enough we were back 4 months later to replace them with timber ones, once vandals kicked them to pieces.

Great that's that one put to bed..

I don't want wood as it's too much of a pain. I will go for concrete which will be better for our purposes

Cheers

Richard

Great that's that one put to bed..

I don't want wood as it's too much of a pain. I will go for concrete which will be better for our purposes

Cheers

Richard

I would think you may need planning for a permanent structure that size in your garden plus "proper" foundations rather than a concrete slab?

Consider pressure treated timber which should last pretty well without too much maintenance. You can always ongoing treat every few years with a quality preservative treatment.
Our log cabin/summer house is made from this and we had it installed over two years ago. The treatment used at the time still looks fresh after two winters and I would guess we will recover at end of this season, so 3 years with no maintenance or treatment. Plus it si warmer inside than a concrete structure ()and looks much much nicer)

Plus concrete blocks aren't particularly attractive to look at or environmentally friendly are they?

It's doubtful that you'll need Planning Permission or Building Control, 24 square meters? I assumed your 12 X 20 were feet not meters.
However, if it was meters, that'll be a hell of a shed 240 square meters :?: :eek:
Check here:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

However, as PE said, you'd probably need to think about foundations rather than just a slab for a concrete block structure. Research other questions about this subject.
Concrete block garages are fine aesthetically, either rendered or painted:
e.g
GALLERY]

If you're thinking of painting only, best use a 'paint quality' block. They have a smoother finish.
ps ignore the photoshopping lower right in the photo, it's just me hiding the clutter. ;)

It's doubtful that you'll need Planning Permission or Building Control, 24 square meters? I assumed your 12 X 20 were feet not meters.
However, if it was meters, that'll be a hell of a shed 240 square meters :?: :eek:
Check here:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

However, as PE said, you'd probably need to think about foundations rather than just a slab for a concrete block structure. Research other questions about this subject.
Concrete block garages are fine aesthetically, either rendered or painted:
e.g
GALLERY]

If you're thinking of painting only, best use a 'paint quality' block. They have a smoother finish.
ps ignore the photoshopping lower right in the photo, it's just me hiding the clutter. ;)

Yes I did mean feet rather than metres!

How much did that one cost as it looks rather nice

oh im sorry,i dint back read the thread :LOL: .clad it in steel and save the condensation.

How much did that one cost as it looks rather nice

I can't remember exactly now, it was about 5 years ago. I think it was about £8K.
It's 6 meteres X 5 metres. Single skin concrete block incl DPC and piers, DPM and insulation in concrete floor slab 150mm thick (you can use it as a garage. Hence the 2/3rd & 1/3 rd doors. I can get my Disco in, just). Cut roof with insulation above rafters. Asphalt shingles with underlay on 18mm OSB. Boarded loft for storage. When I ran the cable I included water pipe and 3 X Cat5 cables at same time. It can always be used in future as Home/Ofiice, etc.
Someone reported me to the LA for building a new bungalow. Inspector came to follow up, walked half way down the garden, turned round and said he's not interested. On his way out he asked, BTW, what is it?

Based on a cost per meter square, for a 12 X 20 you'd be looking at about £6.5K. But you'd never have to build it again.
When the shingles are worn out (about 25 years'ish) you can put one other layer straight on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back