Metal Trunking Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been a while since I frequented these hallowed grounds....

I've bought 6 pendant fittings that I want to suspend from the substantial metalwork above my balcony (It's the structural floor of the upstairs balcony).

I've also bought a length to 2"x2" metal trunking (not lighting trunking) and was going to use it to mount all six fittings to, through compression glands, but I can't decide which way up to but the trunking, and how to mount it to the metal grid "ceiling" of the balcony.

It's somewhat exposed to the elements, although I could even sandwich a sheet of acrylic or similar above the trunking to act as a rain roof.

Anyone got any thoughts, or done something as......odd?

Trunking lid on the top? Bottom? Site? Obviously, holes for compression glands will go on the opposite side, but I can't decide for the life of me what's best.

Also, stirrup hangers? Jack chain? Trunking Saddles?

What are everyone's preferred methods?

Thanks in advance!

Will gladly draw terrible sketches in an attempt to illustrated my confusing plan....

Sponsored Links
Surely if you have the lid on the top you'll struggle to tighten the turnbuckles or screws?

If you hang it on anything non rigid it will move in the wind, maybe bang into things, but even if not that it could easily make a noise which annoys you or the guy upstairs.

Plus trunking isn't weather-tight.

I would have thought conduit was a much better option.

Photos of the structural metalwork you want to attach to would be useful. And are you sure you're allowed to do it?

Not really sure what you are doing but what about aluminium scaffold tube ? Or keyclamp?
Theatre and tv lights are held up on scaf tube and the bars are internally wired

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back