Meter box regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if there are any regulations regarding the location of the gas meter? For example, the property we have purchased has a gas box meter located outside of the premises – in the shed with a lock just off the public road, is this allowed?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Hope you dont ever get a gas leak cause you'll be running all over the place.

You could have it moved by National Grid, but that would probably cost the best part of a grand.

it's just a bit odd - who would put it there in the first place... Also, if I understand correctly - the pipe between gas meter and the house is my responsibility? :confused:

Correct, it is your responsibility, or landlords.

I dont come across meter boxes being seperate from the property that often, but they do happen.

I guess it was just national grid getting lazy or the person who paid to have the gas installed, found it cheaper to install it that way.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering if there are any regulations regarding the location of the gas meter? For example, the property we have purchased has a gas box meter located outside of the premises – in the shed with a lock just off the public road, is this allowed?

The gas company probably wanted an arm and a leg to
run all the way to the house. So the previous owner had
it installed to the property border and ran the pipe to the house
themselves.

Thanks for the responses! But now what if the gas pipe after the meter goes under someone else's property?

So the gas pipe from the meter, goes under someone elses property before it reaches yours?

does it go under the garden, or under a building?

If its under a building, would i be right in thinking the building was built after the pipe was laid?

You're gonna make me get my manuals out!

Transporter responsibility ends at the outlet of the meter. (They don't call them TOFO's for nothing!)

If that supply feeds your property it's your responsibility wherever it goes. It is however very naughty running a supply through someone else property

No I'm pretty sure it doesn't run under anyone else's house. I was wondering if anyone could give me a direct referral to regulation that states that any act within which it states that beyond the meter, the maintenance of any piping is the responsibility of the customer or property owner? I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find it..

Also, a bit unrelated, but is this true that its obligatory for each property with own address to have own gas/electricity meter?

I can't remember where it's stated but the gas transporter is only responsible up to the outlet of the meter.

I.e emergency control, governor, meter and that's it any pipework from the outlet is the responsibility of the home owner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back