Location of gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Are there any regulations relating to the location of a gas meter?

We bought a house and the meter is in the garage.

A friend of mine tells me it should be outside but this garage was signed off by Building Control in 2000. :confused:

I'm pretty sure transco will have installed it there as their pipe goes through the wall from the outside and from what I understand they install stuff up to the meter.

Are there any new regs that have come out in the past few years?

Sponsored Links
Nope in the garage is fine. Think yourself lucky it isnt in your living room and you have to box it in. Very common in london conversion flats!

had to relocate a live gas meter the other day as a doorway was being cut into the garage and meter would have been in the way.
oddly the gas transporter didnt want to get involved and advised customer that if the meter was being moved less than 600mm a corgi man could do it.
Im still dubious about this but the guy wants a new boiler next month so hehe.
Overnight order from bes of black barrel fiitings, scrabble in van looking for contiunity bonds. Obviously a 2 man job but still quite an experience 2" barrel on the live side.
Luickily all came aprt easy, not like you could heat up the joints is it l;ol.
well all tested and safe, next

[had to relocate a live gas meter the other day as a doorway was being cut into the garage and meter would have been in the way.
]

You can not be serious Mr Benchmark[/quote]

Sponsored Links
oddly the gas transporter didnt want to get involved and advised customer that if the meter was being moved less than 600mm a corgi man could do it.

I think what they had in mind was withing the rotation radius of the inlet annaconda!

Tony

dont think who u spoke to at the gas transporter realised u were gona be altering the service pipe!think i may have to RIDDOR u!!!!lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back