Meter Box Soaking Wet Inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had some pretty sideways torrential rain the last few days and at some point the RCD for my EV charger tripped. I went to reset it today and noticed that the inside of my meter box is absolutely sodden. Not dripping wet as such but the cork backing board that everything is screwed to is soaked and spongy it's unclear if the water came in through the door (no obvious damage) or somehow through the back inside the wall (it's a very old stone building, 1870). Not sure if the RCD and the wet meter box are related but I'm sure a wet meter box is not a good thing I suspect the box needs removing and the damp investigating.

But... who do you call? Is this a job for an electrician or a builder?

Sponsored Links
After talking to National Grid it seems this is a bloody complex operation. They said that in order to remove/replace the meter box I may need to arrange the attendance of up to four different contractors simultaneously.

1. National Grid to turn off the supply (free of charge)
2. My electricity provider to remove and replace the meter (possibly free of charge)
3. My own electrician to remove and replace the equipment for the EV charger
4. A builder who is going to do the repair work.

Feels like I'm in for a challenge here, last time I needed my meter looking at I had trouble getting them to stick to a specific day let alone a time slot. .

Sponsored Links
Yes, but only for the cable exits.
TOP, or SIDES?

The cables should only enter the bottom, for the reason of water ingress.

If you sent some pictures, we may be able to suggest away of sealing the meter box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back