Meter change..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having my meter changed by Meter Plus later this month, and the existing has an old cast-iron cased isolator before the meter, and has cloth insulated tails.

Would it be usual for isolator to be removed and the tails replaced, or will be a direct swap of the meter and thats all?

Never had a reason to operate the isolator, or ever dared to, just in case it wont go back in...

Sponsored Links
Usually, the meter monkey deals only in changing the meters alone.

If you think the CI gear and tails are past their best, ask the DNO for an appointment to check them out.

I used to mark CI cutouts as at risk, and the DNO (Norweb / UU / ENWL round here) used to change them, but now they only do it if they consider it unsafe. Ditto tails, I know rubber insulated cotton sheathed tails are past their sell-by, but the DNO don't work to the same regs we do.

If you buy a couple of metres of 25mm tails, you might be able to charm the fitter into connecting them for you.

They usually claim to only have the meter and a screwdriver and no other materials.

Some 16mm G&Y and an 8-way MET block is also very useful, otherwise he may just reconnect your rusty old bellwire.

I would not expect the meter operator to get involved in altering / upgrading earthing arrangements.

They *might* replace the tails from the head to the meter, but that's about it. They will not replace the head.

You should contact the DNO. As you're in yorkshire, this will be northern power grid. From the impression I got from the last chap I spoke to on site, they will now replace cast iron cutouts free of charge, no questions asked.

Sponsored Links
I think its the same in the MANWEB area SP will change Iron Clad cutouts FOC. They want them off the system, and while they are there they will change your tails. If in any doubt report a smell of burning coming from your meter cupboard to the DNO. they "should" respond smartly to that one.....and if they see an iron clad cutout, they "should" change it...

Oh yes, I was thinking about the service head when I said the earth.

It's quite annoying when you see an installation where both the head and the meter have been replaced, possibly more than once on different occasions, and the old cloth-wrapped tiny tails and hundred-year-old bare bellwire have just been reconnected each time.

If you can provide the new cable and put it ready, you have a fair chance of getting them to use it.

as you are from Yorkshire, it will be NEDL/YEDL that have the responsibility of the equipment before the meter.

From what you say, there is a chance that the meter fitter wont exchange your meter, and will make arrangements for the DNO to come out and replace the cutout before the meter is exchanged.

Could you please post a picture of it?

Most of my work is in the old MANWEB area and I've had them out to a few iron clads, everyone is changed sometimes they have had the digging team out and cut the cable in the street running a new concentric into the property as the old cutout was to dangerous to change over Live.

Yes there are a number of metal clad cut-outs that we don't touch if they are live as they can be quite dangerous if disturbed.
This is one of my concerns when discussions turn to electricians (and others) withdrawing main fuses, we know the types & designs to make dead others don't

That is not company policy, sounds like a local decision!
As they are now plcs their duty is to the shareholders. If they can save money by not replacing items which they do not consider unsafe then they are legally obliged to do that.

As they are now plcs their duty is to the shareholders. If they can save money by not replacing items which they do not consider unsafe then they are legally obliged to do that.

BAS

We consider them unacceptable and potentially unsafe to work on (though, as stated, some types have a complete live ban on them), they also are not capable of accepting 100A fuses which is the company norm

Company policy from nationalised days has always been to change them, budgets are always set to allow this, as are agreed expenditures with the regulator!
Locally we spend time hunting them out to change them as part of a specific scheme which would be set up to do them in a defined geographic area.

For some reason the patch in question must have made a local decision for some reason which was against policy! (knowing who was in charge in that patch at the time it doesn't surprise me!)

As I say, things may have changed in the time since.

I am acutely aware that CI cutouts are potentially dangerous as the casing is not earthed and always marked them down as such. However, I was also aware that the DNO's worked under different regs to me and it was up to them to decide whether to change the equipment or not. Mostly they did, but then they stopped.

If you buy a couple of metres of 25mm tails, you might be able to charm the fitter into connecting them for you.

They usually claim to only have the meter and a screwdriver and no other materials.

Just had my meter changed last week, and the meter guy shook his head and replaced the tails between the meter and the cutout as they where both "red". I had never noticed as they had grey over the top. He did have to go back out to his van however to get the replacement tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back