meter installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

i am considering having a water meter installed.

the outside stoptap is shared with the neighbour.

There would be about 30 to 40cm of pipe in the kitchen after the internal stop tap. Would this space be enough for the water people to install a meter? I have no clue as to the size of a water meter.

thanks

Sponsored Links
they usually want to install it outside now.

Usually in the street!

Who does the garden tap belong to?

I have heard of neighbours paying £10 or £20 towards the water bill.

Are you sure its wise as you cannot go back!

Tony

Who does the garden tap belong to?

Tony

Garden tap!? Whoever said anything about a garden tap!?

If you contact your water authority they'll advise as to the best place to put it, and may well split yours and your neighbour's supply at the same time. However, they might also want to fit a meter to that so check with your neighbour that they're happy with this.

Oopa, I read that too quickly as an "outside tap shared with the neighbour"! He should have said stopcock!

It all depends on where the supply goes after the shared stopcock.

I suspect they may refuse unless you supply a meter pit in the garden ( if that feasible ) or they may agree to use the standard street meter box.

It would be better if the neighbour wanted a meter too!

As far as I am aware most water suppliers will no longer fit meters inside domestic properties.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Last time I checked Severn Trent were keen for you to have it inside as close to the internal stop-cock as possible. I assume it's so they can charge you for leaks!

They run a cable from the meter to the outside of the house so they don't have to come in to read it.

Are you sure its wise as you cannot go back!

Tony

My understanding from negotations with the local water company for customers of ours, is that if they are worse off with a water meter and its under 1 year old they will remove it, after one year they will not this may not be the same throughout the country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back