Meter reading help

It's nothing like 49291 - have they estimated that?

I make it 50804.

The first pointer does look a bit inaccurate but if it were 4 then the next would be a really high number but it is definitely 0.

What was the reading last time?
yes definately 50 as the second number is a fraction past the "0" if the second digit was say 5 the first would be half way in between

Sponsored Links
50804 from me
They have underestimated it by 1513 as 49291

I really can't agree with that, has there been a typo?

Do you mean right (rather than left)?
Sorry yes there is a typo, (my error), it should be 50804 because reading FROM the RIGHT you get,

1Kw dial reads 4 as it has clearly not quite reached the 5
10kW reads 0 as the 1kW is only on 4
100kW is clearly 8 as 10kW is zero
1,000kW is 0 as 100kW is only at 8
10,000kW is 5 as the 1,000kW has passed the 0

You now have the figure 40805, however, this is a reverse reading so the figures need to be reversed.
Therefore, the true reading is 50804

Sorry for any confusion in my earlier post.

Eh? You know those dials advance continuously on gears, not jump in steps? Like a clock where the minute hand points to 6, the hour hand is half way between two other numbers.

How do you get the 10000 hand to point to "very nearly 5" when the 1000 hand points to "nearly 0" and call that 40000? Sure, the 10000 hand should be pointing to 10% past the 5 if the 1000 hand is pointing to 1, so it looks slightly wonky, but it's a gross underread to assert its pointing to the 4

If that were wound back 1000 kWh the 10000 hand would still be much nearer the 5 than the 4
Yes I now agree with you, I would read that as 5 - - - - not 4- - - - and that the 10k pointer is out of alignment but whose to know which way it has moved. I can understand why the poster gave his reading in all good faith.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back