Meter tail max lengths?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at getting some building work done which means ideally a rewire & consumer unit move. I've read around on the Internet & seem to get conflicting info. Our supply comes in at the side of the house into what is currently a garage. This will convert to a study so i don't really want the consumer unit in there (as it is now). If we can extend the meter tails by about 4m (i've found 5m cables available) the new consumer unit could go in the new utility area or hall. I've then read that meter tails can't be burried in the wall?? (despite just moving from a new build that certainly did have them burried!!). I've also read that they can only be 3m yet read elsewhere they can be longer but there needs to be a switched fuse by the meter?? Attached is a pic of the current meter. I guess it's down to the DNO to fit a switched fuse? If that is the case can we also request a new digital meter? Thanks for any advice. Hopefully the costs aren't as bad as moving the gas meter 1m (over £1k!!). Our old(new!) house deffo had a switch by the meter.

Sponsored Links
Tails should not be buried!

I have seen where tails where buried and a builder drilled through the neutral (luckily) putting up a mirror. Over the next few months, it burnt out in the wall: horrible mess.

Seems to vary from DNO to DNO (westie may be along later to verify) but I seem to get the impression that some allow 3m, others 2m.

Beyond that, you do need a submain. The DNO will not fit that. You (or your sparky) are responsible for that.

Meter operator is different to DNO. Why do you want new meter?

Other issue is that nothing should be mounted in the external cabinet other than what is already there.

Meaning, you'd have to put your submain gear inside.

It may be neater to reroute the incoming supply. It could be dear, but it's worth asking the DNO.

Thanks for the reply, our old (new) house had the meter tails in the cavity, the meter box was at ground level & the consumer unit was at ceiling height. I guess we are looking at having the incoming supply moved like the gas :( £££££££££!! New meter-only because all the talk about smart meters & i prefer digital to analogue! I guess we'll have to talk to the DNO, hopefully they won't bend me over like the gas people have!!

You could reduce the price by offering to dig trenches etcetera, do all the donkey work, offer lots of tea & biccies ( ;) ), that seems to help!

Sponsored Links
That may well be the case ;) Although a freind of the family used to work for the DNO as a high voltage jointer, he may know someone who will do it? On a side note the cable coming in doesn't look very thick at all? Certainly not as thick as the live & neutral meter tails!!

On a side note the cable coming in doesn't look very thick at all? Certainly not as thick as the live & neutral meter tails!!
That is frequently the case.
The DNO is much more realistic with cables than our regulations.

Plus, there is a fashion for electricians to install larger than required either -

through lack of knowledge or -
for some 'future proofing' in case you may want to install a hadron collider or -
they think the earth has too much copper or -
that's just what they do.

Plus, there is a fashion for electricians to install larger than required either -
through lack of knowledge or -
for some 'future proofing' in case you may want to install a hadron collider .
I'm not having that!
I worked on the hadron collider and we followed the specs as required and fitted a 6Amp MCB - Admittedly I did fit it with 2.5mm ² T&E just in case :evil:
Interesting point - no RCD required. ;)

If you do need to move your service position Id recommend sitting down with a stiff drink before you get your quote.....Personally I cant recommend getting it done as a "foreigner". although I am led to believe its a very common practice and about HALF the price of getting the DNO to do it.

From time to time we come across what are obviously "foreigners"
A group of 10 have been found today and all promptly permanently disconnected

No I'm not going to tell how we find out! :confused:

Surely this isnt actually a supply move though?

Hes just moving the CU...

Cutout and meter would be staying exactly where they are, therefore its not a DNO job at all?

The only tricky bit would be that your "not allowed" to put your own equipment in that box, but need a switchfuse for tails over 3m... I suspect you might well get away with putting a switchfuse in there though.

Also, why cant the tails be buried? Surely thats fairly typical in say a block of flats?

My mates flat has the cutout and meter in a box down at the entrance, then SWA running from there vanishing off into the wall/floor, then appearing again at the consumer unit.

From time to time we come across what are obviously "foreigners"

The mind boggles, westie...

You wonder about the quality of the work. I mean, if it was a "proper" foreigner done by a Norweb chap, job'd be a good 'un: no worries. So you wonder who is doing this work.... and what risks they are taking connecting up to the live supply. :eek:

There are allot of "on the side" meter moves etc done, most seem to be by DNO employees and apart from the fact the supplies no longer tally with the drawings there would be very little way of knowing what had gone on

Also, why cant the tails be buried? Surely thats fairly typical in say a block of flats?
Tails - single insulated and sheathed cable.

They are allowed to be but new tails that are buried would have to be protected by an RCD - not desirable or, in actual fact, allowed for the installation.

My mates flat has the cutout and meter in a box down at the entrance, then SWA running from there vanishing off into the wall/floor, then appearing again at the consumer unit.
SWA being the important part - it does not have to be protected by an RCD.

Tails - single insulated and sheathed cable. ... They are allowed to be but new tails that are buried would have to be protected by an RCD - not desirable or, in actual fact, allowed for the installation.
Why do you say 'not allowed' - because of 314.1? If so, how do you feel about a fuse protecting long tails (or an up-front RCD in a TT installation)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back