Meter Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a friends house the other day to see his new kitchen, in the process of this he has had a new CU fitted... the electrician has fitted new meter tails (blue, brown) in 25mm cable. The problem is that it is not the normal grey double insulated tails you see. Instead it is what looks like blue and brown tri-rated cable. Is this normal? I have seen a few pictures on the internet with blue and brown tails.

Sponsored Links
It is becoming more common to see Blue & Brown double insulated tails. SSE have gone over to them completly now and we will be sometime this year.

It is becoming more common to see Blue & Brown double insulated tails.
Or even insulated and sheathed.

bolt.gif

Sponsored Links
To dispel any confusion in this and the other thread -

The inner layer is always made of pvc insulation.

However, sometimes the outer layer is a sheath made of pvc insulation and

sometimes the outer layer is insulation made of pvc sheathing.

So, depending on which it is, it will either be 'double insulated' or 'insulated and sheathed'.

Obvious, really. I hope that clears it up for everyone.

To dispel any confusion in this and the other thread -
The inner layer is always made of pvc insulation.
However, sometimes the outer layer is a sheath made of pvc insulation and
sometimes the outer layer is insulation made of pvc sheathing.
So, depending on which it is, it will either be 'double insulated' or 'insulated and sheathed'.
Obvious, really. I hope that clears it up for everyone.
I know this has been subject to a previous topic but how does the double insulated and/or insulated and sleeved apply to twin and earth.
Clearly the live cables are double insulated (or insulated and sleeved) but what about the cpc which only has the sheath protecting it?

Clearly the live cables are double insulated (or insulated and sleeved)
Yes, depending on which of the above methods is used.
However, I am afraid you are confusing sleeving and sheathing which could lead to trouble after a couple of pints.

but what about the cpc which only has the sheath protecting it?
It will probably be alright.

Regulation 521.10.1 states " Non sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking".

In the IET onsite guide (2.2.3 meter tails) it states, "meter tails are part of the consumer's installation and should be insulated and sheathed".

In the link provided 4th line down in the description it states "Sheath/Jacket: LSZH (Low smoke zero halogen)".

So using the terminology of the IET the correct term has to be insulated and sheathed. Even though they are commonly referred to as "double insulated" by many sparks.

I know this has been subject to a previous topic but how does the double insulated and/or insulated and sleeved apply to twin and earth. Clearly the live cables are double insulated (or insulated and sleeved) but what about the cpc which only has the sheath protecting it?
As someone (I think holmslaw) pointed out in that other thread. in some senses the only cables which would fit one strict definition of 'double insulated' are singles (like meter tails), since the outer sheath (made of insulating material) then surrounds the entirity of the primary insulation of the conductor in question. In T&E, the L & N conductors may, in some senses, be 'double insulated' from the outside world, but they are definitely not 'double insulated' from the CPC (nor even necessarily from each other, should twisting/bending etc. result in the insulation of the L&N conductors coming into contact).

All a bit irrelevant, but something to write and ponder about!

Kind Regards, John.

Regulation 521.10.1 states " Non sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking".
It does.

You will, therefore, have to enclose in conduit etc. or use a cable with a sheath made of insulating pvc.

In the IET onsite guide (2.2.3 meter tails) it states, "meter tails are part of the consumer's installation and should be insulated and sheathed"
Same answer.

In the link provided 4th line down in the description it states "Sheath/Jacket: LSZH (Low smoke zero halogen)".
I don't have the latest OSG. but jackets are another kettle of worms.

So using the terminology of the IET the correct term has to be insulated and sheathed.
It would so appear.

Even though they are commonly referred to as "double insulated" by many sparks.
Yes, unless there is a difference.

However, one thing seems to be universally accepted, that is that the first layer is definitely insulation.

However, one thing seems to be universally accepted, that is that the first layer is definitely insulation.
Was it in a dream, or have I heard of/seen a cable in which the inner conductor was surrounded by a 'first layer' which was a conductive foil (for whatever purpose!)? :)

Kind Regards, John.

I went to a friends house the other day to see his new kitchen, in the process of this he has had a new CU fitted... the electrician has fitted new meter tails (blue, brown) in 25mm cable. The problem is that it is not the normal grey double insulated tails you see. Instead it is what looks like blue and brown tri-rated cable. Is this normal? I have seen a few pictures on the internet with blue and brown tails.

As long as they are insulated and sheathed/double insulated then the colour of the external layer is not really an issue as long as the cables are identified in regards to the use of the conductors!

As long as they are insulated and sheathed/double insulated then the colour of the external layer is not really an issue as long as the cables are identified in regards to the use of the conductors!
I take it that you had in mind something a bit more conventional than the (albeit old!) DNO's use of red inner insulation to identify the incoming neutral in my installation :)

Kind Regards, John.

I take it that you had in mind something a bit more conventional than the (albeit old!) DNO's use of red inner insulation to identify the incoming neutral in my installation :)

Kind Regards, John.

Should that exposed single insulation not be incased in an enclosure! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back