tails not labelled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'd like to have my meter changed but our tails (fairly new 25mm) are not labelled with the blue or brown tape.
I am worried that the REC will refuse to reconnect for this reason once they have carried out the work. Do you think they may be able to reconnect even if my tails are not labelled?
You can see the blue and brown insulation from the tail as it slots in the old meter but I know this is not a good way of telling which is which.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They do not have to be identified on the sheath, it is only courteous to do so.

The inner insulation is the means on identification.

The chap who changes the meter will not give a flying wallop, and will no doubt fit some ID tape anyhow. Different form area to area, but he may use coloured tape, coloured tie wraps, L and N marked tape etc etc.

how can he connect the live and neutral correctly from the cu to the meter without knowing whats coming out of the cU?

if you feel like it, you can buy some plastic cable ties in blue and brown colours, and nip them tightly round the cable sheaths near the ends, clip off the excess.

I used to like coloured tape in rings round the sheath, but the ties are more durable.

the meter fitter will get the polarity on the new meter the same as the old meter. What you have done with the tails inside your part of the installation is not his concern.

Sponsored Links
All the meter changes I've seen done they just use a white pen to write on the tails (left to right) 1,2,3,4. Then disconnect them, fit the new meter and reconnect in the same order.

how can he connect the live and neutral correctly from the cu to the meter without knowing whats coming out of the cU?

You said you can see the blue/brown insulation at the terminations?

He will see this too.

But as said, he will simply connect up as he disconnected.

You can see the blue and brown insulation from the tail as it slots in the old meter but I know this is not a good way of telling which is which.

It bloody well should be, thats why they are differnt colours in the first place, :D .

I had both my meter changed and an Isolator switch fitted by my REC last month.

You don't need to worry about anything.
The meter fitting guy doing the work will test and identify all of the connections before he takes anything apart.

He wil do several of these jobs each day every day and will most likely have seen it all before.

It must be your aftershave or something.

Anyway, back to the point, how many meters do you change per day? ;)

I recently had an isolator fitted and the chap from Scottish Power replaced the tails from the meter to the isloator and Henley with 2 browns !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back