Are these meter tails labelled correctly? *PIC*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few questions
  1. In the pic below, there's a blue cable with a L on it and a brown with a N. I thought Blue was always meant to be Neutral and L for Line. Are they labelled correctly?
  2. Who's responsible for upgrading the tails out of the isolator (the red and black ones)? If I want to upgrade them to be the more modern blue and brown ones who would be responsible for that? (me or the meter company)
  3. Who's responsible for upgrading the earth tail.. if I want to upgrade to 16mm who would be responsible for that? (it's currently 25mm)

PXL_20211119_225004749.jpg

Sponsored Links
The N&L single markers are in the wrong place. The colours are correct, as are the positions where they connect to the cutout and meter.

The red/black wires are yours, and if you want them replaced then you must pay an electrician to replace them. Same for the earth wire.

In the pic below, there's a blue cable with a L on it and a brown with a N. I thought Blue was always meant to be Neutral and L for Line. Are they labelled correctly?
No, but they are in the correct place - i.e. wired correctly.

Who's responsible for upgrading the tails out of the isolator (the red and black ones)? If I want to upgrade them to be the more modern blue and brown ones who would be responsible for that? (me or the meter company)
You or your electrician. Why bother? The colours don't matter.

Who's responsible for upgrading the earth tail.
You or your electrician.
If you can't access the cut-out then you can only cut it and fit an earth block.

if I want to upgrade to 16mm who would be responsible for that? (it's currently 25mm)
If you meant that the other way round then 16mm² is adequate.

I'm not clear on your comment about the 'earth tail'.

A minimum of 16mm2 should be fine for the earth.

Sponsored Links
No, but they are in the correct place - i.e. wired correctly.

If you can't access the cut-out then you can only cut it and fit an earth block.

If you meant that the other way round then 16mm² is adequate.
No, I did mean what I said. I want to upgrade from 25mm to 16mm. . The earth tail is currently 25mm. My understanding is that the standard for earth tails for domestic installations is 16mm. All the modern CU's are designed to cater for 16mm earth tails and 25mm L&N

No, I did mean what I said. I want to upgrade from 25mm to 16mm. . The earth tail is currently 25mm. My understanding is that the standard for earth tails for domestic installations is 16mm. All the modern CU's are designed to cater for 16mm earth tails and 25mm L&N

25mm is bigger than 16mm. Going from 25mm to 16mm would be a DOWNgrade

There is no harm in having a cable bigger than the minimum requirement unless it physically doesn't fit in the terminals.

Replacing a 25mm² conductor with a 16mm² isn't an upgrade.

If they are all currently 25mm² there isn't any need to replace anything.

25mm is bigger than 16mm. Going from 25mm to 16mm would be a DOWNgrade
which is why I wrote upgrade in italics

I thought 25mm was probably an older standard and the new modern standard is 16mm.Hence all CU's being designed for 16mm earths

He's now explained WHY he wants a 16mm2 earth, so it fits the terminals.

You may struggle getting that cover off to replace the earth cable.

You may wish to cut the 25mm2 cable, and run to an earth block or isco block where you can then change to 16mm2.

Just be sure what you get will take a 25mm2 conductor.

There is also a dubious practice of wrapping one or two strands round the outside of the cable, and inserting the remaining strands.

Not something I've ever done - but I suppose it has it's use in such circumstances - if it will go into the terminal, and there is a minimum of 16mm2 of copper making full contact.

Just divide the strands between two terminals.

How is it connected at the moment?
It's on a old wylex CU at the moment. You can see how the earth's wired in from the pics below.. it seems to be going straight into a terminal?. By the way I know maybe I'm not supposed to take the cover off but I wanted to get an idea as to what I need to get done. I put the labels on - and pulled each fuse to figure things out.. fuse number 5 seems to not go anywhere.. I was a bit confused by 1 as well.. maybe it doesn't go to sockets

I put a LED lamp into one of the sockets and it was flickering.. when i put 1 back in it was nice and bright!

by the way fuse 6 has burn marks
PXL_20211120_135816700.jpg
PXL_20211120_140320788.jpg

I would have thought it impossible to connect a 25mm2 earth cable to a tiny earth terminal in an ancient fuse box like that without some form of butchery.

I would have thought it impossible to connect a 25mm2 earth cable to a tiny earth terminal in an ancient fuse box like that without some form of butchery.
you may well be right.. may be they snipped some of the strands. It's definitely 25mm though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back