New tails - wire type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can someone please advise what wire type should be used (according to the regs) for new tails from the meter to the CU ??

I have 16mm Brown/Blue/Yellow available, single insulated & am wondering if this is OK as what is currently there is single insulated.

Cheers,
Matty

Sponsored Links
The minimum size to be used for your earth is 16mm, but what you have for your live/neutral meter tails is too small as a minimum of 25mm needs to be used.

OK I'll get 25mm, but does it have to be double insulated or will single insulated be OK?

And is it OK following the Brown/Blue colours?
I see a lot of pics where its only Grey.

DI.

And the grey you see is the outer sheath. Soe people like to expose a small bit of the inner insulation to identify the tails (i.e. outside the enclosure) but that's a bit naughty, or you can use something durable, e.g. cable ties or sleeving.

If you can get DI tails with the outer sheath brown & blue that will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Will the meter terminals be able to accept 25mm even though its really old?

Looks like I need a trip down to a supplier that sells by the metre as we dont have double insulated at work.
OR, is there something else I can do to insulate single insulated cable to meet the regs?

Will that be allowed? & if so will plastic conduit be OK?

Don't see why not - plastic conduit will provide better protection than the outer sheath of a DI cable.

If you're concerned that plastic won't be enough then no way should you be considering ordinary tails in the first place.

It's still going to end up single insulated where the tails exit the conduit to connect to the meter.

I've never yet met a meter which will not acommodate 25.0mm² conductors.

Modern meters will accept 35.0mm² conductors.

cut lengths of insulated and sheathed 25mm are only about a two pounds a metre, I don't see a problem.

I think the coloured cable ties are a really good way to identify grey-sheathed tails, but coloured sheathed are also slightly available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back