Metering - !! westie101 !!

ever wondered if petrol pumps adjust for temperature
I understand that for normal UK temperatures the difference is negligible!

However that is why large passenger/freight aircraft uplift fuel by weight rather than volume.

"Just going to the garage to buy 10kg of diesel!"

Sponsored Links
That's just it, they are on the same tariff as a couple months back when they were metered at LV.
Sounds like they got screwed.

Why did they take on the extra cost of running and maintaining their own transformer if they weren't going to get any discount for doing so? were they forced into it somehow?

In my experience decisions like that are often made at upper management level without consulting those in the know ie the engineering department. (Good job I'm not bitter !)

It's not completely impossible that the decision was made by a bean counter who doesn't realise that a watt is a watt is a watt. Or kVA is kVA is kVA, if you prefer.

Sponsored Links
...a bean counter who doesn't realise that a watt is a watt is a watt. Or kVA is kVA is kVA, if you prefer.
Isn't the point that a kVA is not necessarily a kVA from everyone's viewpoint? As I understand it, the recent change has resulted in the consumer getting less usable electricity per metered kWh or kVAh.

Kind Regards, John

It is because of the turbine. To connect the turbine to the grid, and be able to 'freely' consume the generated units, it all had to be done at HV. If the turbine was connected to it's own HV metered supply, you could only sell back to the grid, and not use the units yourself.

It is a bit political as in effect, one company owns the turbine and one the site which it provides the electricity to, the 'free' electricity being invoiced from one company to the other at the same unit price as the electricity from the grid, so the site in effect sees no benefit from the turbine, but the other company makes the profit from selling to the site, and the FITs payments.

All this would be completely fair if there were no losses through the substation. This is why I have now fitted a third meter to record the units at LV.

The turbine is of a size and of a distance from the site, where connecting at LV would be impractical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back