Methods of damp proofing external/internal brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening chaps, unsure of whether this is the correct area to be asking about damp but I'll go ahead,
I am refurbishing my first house and hoping to move in within the next couple of months, upstairs is going well but I have moved onto downstairs and need to address a couple of damp walls brought up on the initial survey.

House is an early 1900s 2 up 2 down terrace 3 leafs of solid imperial bricks, all of the old sash windows (leaking in) have been replaced with Double glazing by a fensa reg'd lad.

Now I have removed all of the old plaster from the walls in the entire house, partly cause it was loose in many areas and partly due to a botched rewire (and crap replastering of chases) by the previous owner.

Main problems are that there was definetely damp in the front external wall (we have re-pointed the front outside and painted as per the other houses on the street) but I'd like to go belt and braces and treat it anyways.

Second problem is damp in the internal wall between the front room and under stairs cupboard.

The plan is to then lat the walls and mount plasterboard to the lats as per upstairs and let the plasterer crack on, guy I know mentioned putting dpc roll behind each lat but I was looking at paint on type treatments too.

Open to opinions guys any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Alex

Sponsored Links
Is there any evidence of a DPC. Any holes drilled?
If not inject a liquid DPC, like Dryzone. You shoud not need to paint on anything on the ground floor. Render walls then fix plaster board

Nah no evidence of dpc whatsoever no drill marks or obvious signs I'm afraid!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back