Metro/Subway Tiling - bathroom walls marked independently?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very quick question. I will be tiling all four walls of my bathroom up to 3/4 high using 200x100 metro brick tiles.

I understand that you use your vertical gauge rod to get the starting height for all walls keeping the bath height in mind, so that there isnt a bad cut at the floor.

My question is, using your horizontal gauge rod, do you mark each wall independently of the others? What I mean by this is, if my corner cut for my first wall is, say, 1/3 tile, do I continue this row on the second wall with 2/3 tile? Or just mark out that second wall independently?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Whatever height/grout line you select as your controlling gauge line, then that line is carried all around the room - typically, a batten can be set at the gauge line & you would work off it.

I treat each wall independently.

BUT . . . .

For brick pattern the corners need to look right so you have to consider the whole room together and see what looks right. You don't want two quarter tiles together just above 2 3/4 tiles when you could have had the brick bond running round the corner with a proper match

Apologies, i didn't read the post correctly. As above "treat each wall independently" but with due allowance for some patterns.

FWIW: there are Apps that will unfold your walls into a single sheet/panorama if you feed in dimensions. Dont recall the names.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing this exact pattern at the moment.

All I would say is that where the tile go around the corner, make sure the cuts to the new wall are all of the same size. I spent a few hours today doing just that.

Doing this means that if there are slight inconsistencies in your walls at one end, then you won't get tiles a few mm longer than the other, which will then mess up your lines on every other wall apart from the main one. Doing this pretty much guarantees that the brick pattern is straight up and down on every other row of tiles.

I'm sure this is pretty obvious to the professionals but it was just something I thought of this morning when I noticed that the off-cuts were all slightly different. It all looks good now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back