mezzanine floor bonding

The way I used to deal with these was to put a main connection to the steel frame to the MET, then connect to the fame at convenient points for gas and water etc...

Check to see if there's a connection between the frame and the MET near the CU.

Sponsored Links
Yeah never thought about that. If it's a mezz in a steel framed building and it's attatced to the steel frame then it's probably already bonded.

whats MET ?

building is metal. i dont think the mez is attached to the building tho. It has steel uprights and then RSJ accross them up to brick work.

What about the tray? thats 100% not bonded. There is a massive earth that comes in with the 415 supply but thinking about it i dont think connected to water either. The water coming in is in plastic and then connects to copper.

tell you where im at.

Building is new. It has a 415v board (square d) and the lights and 1 plug socket supplied by land lord.

When we moved in the previous occupant (was there only 3 months) had the Mez and additional lighting + plugs installed. Its the additional work that previous tenant had done im unsure about. The land lord tells me nothing to do with him. He is only responsible for what he had installed.

Right first of all, you need to learn the difference between earthing and bonding.

They are different things which do different jobs.

In a building you have some metallic 'things' entering the building from outside. These will include water pipes, gas pipes, structural steel and the electrical supply earth.

Each of these items may be at a different potential (voltage) to each other, which could present a shock hazard. We BOND all these items together so that they are all at the same potential, and can not present a hazard to people in the building.

You may have heard of a Faraday cage? Bonding works on the same principle.

Earthing is where you provide a path for fault current to flow to.

Lets use a washing machine as an example. If a washing machine is not earthed, and a fault occours with it that causes a live wire to come into contact with the metal casing of the machine, all that will happen is the casing will also become live and it will stay live. Anyone touching this machine will receive a shock. Obviously, that's a bad thing™.

If the casing of the washing machine was earthed, and the same live wire came into contact with it, a large current would flow in the circuit, and the fuse supplyingthe circuit will blow leaving the washer electrcically isolated, and safe to touch. No one gets a shock, everyones happy. This is known as automatic disconnection of supply.

As you can see, different things doing different jobs.

MET is Main Earth Terminal. It's the point where all the installation earths and the bonding wires all connect together.

The tray will probably be better off being earthed but with out seeing it, it's hard to say for sure.

If there is an existing installation in the building, the landlord has a duty to ensure it is safe regardless of whether he fitted it or not. If it's safe then not a problem. If it is unsafe he sould either put it right or have it removed.

Did you receive an EICR certificate to say the wiring complies with regulations when you rented the property?

Sponsored Links
whats MET ?
Main Earthing Terminal

building is metal. i dont think the mez is attached to the building tho. It has steel uprights and then RSJ accross them up to brick work.
As my previous replies, then.

What about the tray? thats 100% not bonded.
It may be - once. Then all properly bolted together.

There is a massive earth that comes in with the 415 supply but thinking about it i dont think connected to water either.
It may be in the board.

The water coming in is in plastic and then connects to copper.
May not be necessary, then.

Its the additional work that previous tenant had done im unsure about.
These things can only be determined by measurement/testing.
We cannot tell without being there.

The land lord tells me nothing to do with him. He is only responsible for what he had installed.
I would think he has a duty of care to ensure he is letting safe premises.

Extraneous Conductive Part -

like a water pipe which is in the ground and may be at a different potential than the installation earth and so, should be bonded.

that pretty much answers my question then. So it needs to be earthed.
No.

a) It's not necessarily an extraneous-conductive-part.

b) If it is it needs to be bonded, not earthed.

thanks for all the replies.

Any of you work around Birmingham / Solihull that would like to come and inspect the place for me?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back