MG ZR 105 loss of power (sometimes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my mg has developed a problem more noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears.... it seems to lose power , fail, if you like and sometimes in idle the rev counter can jump from what appears to be the idle to a little higher as if miss firing. I have previously suggested to a mechanic it could be the coil but he said no! and i have had new plugs so i dunno what it could be any suggestions as taking it to the garage to get diagnosed seems to be difficult. I had a service not long ago and a ''rover'' garage didnt have a plug-in diagnosis thingymajig therefore couldnt see where it was failing. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the revs are hunting i'd change the coolant temp sender first. Cheap and easy to do

I wouldnt rule out the coil pack- and would prob change the HT leads when I was at it.

crank shaft position sensor would be my guess. Post it on mg-rover.org forum. They have everything you want to know about them over there.

Sponsored Links
Does your engine management light illuminate within your dashboard when the prob occurs?
If management light is on continuously, you could buy an OBD 2 code reader off fleadbay. I bought one & came with code book for less than £30. You plug it into your cars OBD 2 diagnostic port & it will read fault codes.
I have used my code reader on a few different makes of cars & it worked. Saves paying out for costly diagnostics.

The throttle body butterfly can get gunked up and start to stick which can cause problems with these cars. Remove the tubing from the airbox to the throttle body and give it a good blast with carb cleaner. Yours should have the metal butterfly so it should not warp as the earlier plastic ones did. The www.mg-rover.org forum is a good place to ask about any problems with your car, i found it really usefull when i had my Rover 25.

Back