Mice and rats getting in through Eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have mice and rats getting in through the eaves in one of my rental properties. I have sealed all the house and they are only getting in the loft. I think they are next door but the woman is very ill and not to bothered.

I think they are running from next door along the gutter and in through my eaves.

I have seen roofers mortor the eaves up to block them on installation. Is there anything on the market to do it without the removing the tiles ?

Sponsored Links
diycooper, good evening.

Suggest you have a look at this site where Rats and Mice are regular topics,

As for remedy? suggest placing Rat bate on trays in the loft?

Have you had a look into the loft on a very bright sunny day? you may locate an entry point?

Ken

diycooper, good evening.

Suggest you have a look at this site where Rats and Mice are regular topics,

As for remedy? suggest placing Rat bate on trays in the loft?

Have you had a look into the loft on a very bright sunny day? you may locate an entry point?

Sorry which site ?
Ken

Hi

I have placed bait station in loft, they keep taking it. They are coming in from outside. I am going to block the downspout base of. But I would also like to put some protection under the tile. Once in the gutter they can get under your tiles. If they are coming in from next door the only way to stop them is sealing the underneath of every tile I guess ?

Sponsored Links
diycooper, good evening again.

Now you have a troop of well trained rats, just load the Rat Bate into them, as much as they can munch !

Question? are there any indications of holes in the party wall to your neighbours property?

As for the rain water down pipe, suggest you use some wire mesh, the water will escape out but nothing will get into the pipe, CAUTION when the Rats have gone remove the mesh because over time the mesh will clog up and the water will not escape.

Have you had a good look around the eaves from inside the loft? looking for daylight showing in?

OK your neighbour is not in a fit state to cope at present, is there a competent relative? care assistant? someone you can discuss this issue with, after all if you are having problems goodness knows what is going on next door and a very vulnarable person involved?

Ken

Now you have a troop of well trained rats, just load the Rat Bate into them, as much as they can munch !

Question? are there any indications of holes in the party wall to your neighbours property?

As for the rain water down pipe, suggest you use some wire mesh, the water will escape out but nothing will get into the pipe, CAUTION when the Rats have gone remove the mesh because over time the mesh will clog up and the water will not escape.

Have you had a good look around the eaves from inside the loft? looking for daylight showing in?

OK your neighbour is not in a fit state to cope at present, is there a competent relative? care assistant? someone you can discuss this issue with, after all if you are having problems goodness knows what is going on next door and a very vulnarable person involved?

Ken
Hello

No holes but the could run along the gutters etc and in and out from neighbours I guess. Yes there no daylight what I can see had a good look.

I think they are getting in underfelt, even though you can not see light you cannot seal it completely here ( Although there is videos on internet using mortor before last row of tile goes down.

I did mention this to my tenant over the neighbour but she doesnt answer and my tenant says she wont knock. I did knock bu no answer .

As last by datarebal these things can access a property by various methods, underground services, Gas, Electricity, Comms cabling and their associated ducts this will allow access to the underfloor and then up the cavities.

Has your tenant heard any movement apart from the loft??

Bottom line is keep feeding them the Bate, and even consider placing more Bate trays in the loft, that is all an eradication company would do and charge accordingly?

What age is the property?
Any overt indications of Rats externally?

Any reports of a local infestation?

Ken

As last by datarebal these things can access a property by various methods, underground services, Gas, Electricity, Comms cabling and their associated ducts this will allow access to the underfloor and then up the cavities.

Has your tenant heard any movement apart from the loft??

Bottom line is keep feeding them the Bate, and even consider placing more Bate trays in the loft, that is all an eradication company would do and charge accordingly?

What age is the property?
Any overt indications of Rats externally?

Any reports of a local infestation?

Ken

Ok just got back from property tonight. They ate all the bait that I baited up day before so I have refilled . I caught a few last week on snaps traps and peanut butter but now their not going near them.

I have found a brick missing out the gable what joins next door. I think they may be coming in through here. I am going to block it tomorrow . Would there not be a smudge mark though if they was coming in through this hole.

Also they are chewing wood up there . I think.its the pallet the water tank is on. And the steel water tank has gone a frame round with backerboard I think. They are eating this up to dust. I think they have private living in thus frame like a box round the tank. Can I remove this. In have never seen a steel F & H tank with wood round ?

If our friends have chewed there way in to the timber box around the tank then yes there is a possibility of some sort of a nest / sleeping area in there, especially if the box has been insulated?

Sorry to bang on about it but load them up with bate, double or treble the volume of bate you are able to keep them eating it. If the bate is disheartening that is great, problem I have had is not knowing how many of the Rats you are dealing with, in your case it appears that there are a load of them.

As for the hole you have located in the Party Wall, you will only see staining from the passage of these beasties if they are covered in dirt, if they have entered the next door property and traveled through areas that are dry, then any external dirt will have been brushed of in their transit to get to the loft, if they are accessing Via. that route? there is no reason for the rats to get "dirty" in a dry reasonably clean environment

As a quick fix, use a ball of scrunched up wire mesh?

We had Rats that invades our kitchen, there were dark stains on kick boards under the kitchen base units because the underfloor area was "damp" and the rats picked up the muck and climbed into the kitchen, a load of bate in the underfloor area sorted them out inside a week.

As an aside? how old is the property?

Ken.

If our friends have chewed there way in to the timber box around the tank then yes there is a possibility of some sort of a nest / sleeping area in there, especially if the box has been insulated?

Sorry to bang on about it but load them up with bate, double or treble the volume of bate you are able to keep them eating it. If the bate is disheartening that is great, problem I have had is not knowing how many of the Rats you are dealing with, in your case it appears that there are a load of them.

As for the hole you have located in the Party Wall, you will only see staining from the passage of these beasties if they are covered in dirt, if they have entered the next door property and traveled through areas that are dry, then any external dirt will have been brushed of in their transit to get to the loft, if they are accessing Via. that route? there is no reason for the rats to get "dirty" in a dry reasonably clean environment

As a quick fix, use a ball of scrunched up wire mesh?

We had Rats that invades our kitchen, there were dark stains on kick boards under the kitchen base units because the underfloor area was "damp" and the rats picked up the muck and climbed into the kitchen, a load of bate in the underfloor area sorted them out inside a week.

As an aside? how old is the property?

Ken.

Hello again. It's a 1950 whimpey no fines terraced. I'm not sure how many there is . Funny thing is there no urine smell or much rat droppings. Which is also making me think there more next door.

I'll fill that hole with wire will and foam ot.

Going to rip the box from around the tank.

I caught two on snap traps but now there not taking them.

I used the blue Ronan poison they took that then changed to the Red Roses 25. They demolished this all yesterday . I have filled all tray back up. 7 in total. Going to clean all the sawdust / wood up this week and 're assess .

The tenant has been saying have they got anything they can play with. I have just read they love rolling in sawdust so I think this itvwhat the noise is.

I'm just worried they stop taking poison.

diycooper, good evening.

OK no cavities, see why you were wanting to block of the rainwater down pipes now. But [there is generally a but? Rats can scale the pipework on the outside by pressing there backs against the pipe and in effect walking up the wall, devious little sods.

Wire mesh is cheap, cheerful and easily manipulated to shape, just ram loads in to any possible hole, I would nt bother with foam, the rats may like to eat that in preference to the bate?

As for the Rats stopping eating the proffered bate? what I have found is that, as far as the Rat [ or Rats] are concerned it is easy food, upshot is they will keep eating it, as opposed to a snap trap they see what happens if they feed at that source and if nothing else, they are fast learners with a self preservation streak.

If your tenant is reporting noise then there is a load of them up there, possibly a young family with the youngsters simply being boisterous?

Word to the wise? when stripping the tank surround down use plenty of PPI.

Have fun, I really think you are on the right track, just fill the traps.

Ken.

diycooper, good evening.

OK no cavities, see why you were wanting to block of the rainwater down pipes now. But [there is generally a but? Rats can scale the pipework on the outside by pressing there backs against the pipe and in effect walking up the wall, devious little sods.

Wire mesh is cheap, cheerful and easily manipulated to shape, just ram loads in to any possible hole, I would nt bother with foam, the rats may like to eat that in preference to the bate?

As for the Rats stopping eating the proffered bate? what I have found is that, as far as the Rat [ or Rats] are concerned it is easy food, upshot is they will keep eating it, as opposed to a snap trap they see what happens if they feed at that source and if nothing else, they are fast learners with a self preservation streak.

If your tenant is reporting noise then there is a load of them up there, possibly a young family with the youngsters simply being boisterous?

Word to the wise? when stripping the tank surround down use plenty of PPI.

Have fun, I really think you are on the right track, just fill the traps.

Ken.

Thanks. I feel like I'm getting somewhere . What's PPI ?

I only know one abbreviation for that and that's payment protection insurance ha .

Sorry, a typo

Should have been PPE [I have been inundated recently with crap phone calls about PPI]

Personal Protective Equipment

Sorry about that.

Keep feeding your well trained hoard.

Ken

Sorry, a typo

Should have been PPE [I have been inundated recently with crap phone calls about PPI]

Personal Protective Equipment

Sorry about that.

Keep feeding your well trained hoard.

Ken
Ha ha. Got you. Could they attack me. More chance they would run wouldn't they ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back