Micra K11: Battery change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a Micra K11 and yesterday I took a trip to town but the car failed to start after I tried to return home. The sound from the engine compartment was the dull thud of an engine labouring to turn over. I was lucky at the time because a chap had jump leads and he offered to help. The car started without a problem and I drove it home and parked it up. Talking to a neighbour he said it could be the starter motor and I thought I'd seek advice on D.I.Y. before making a move. I don't want to shell out for an expensive item if it's unnecessary. One thing I can say is the alternator is supplying juice to the battery, because I tested it with a meter.
Also, If I change the battery are there any pitfalls I might encounter? Such as the CD player needing to be recoded? The car doesn't have a fob or any electronic gizmos, it's of the basic type. But somewhere within it, there is a computer and I don't want to cause a bigger problem by just removing the battery and letting all power drain away, thus disabling its memory.
Thanks for any help.
Piper

Sponsored Links
You will need the radio code, but thats it......
If you take the battery to a motor factor they will happily put a heavy discharge meter across it just to confirm its condition before flogging you a new one.
John :)

John, one of my fears was the CD player re-coding, because I've lost the slip of paper that it was on (second hand).
Can I do this? Connect a Power Station (12v) to the battery leads whilst the battery is in place, take the battery off then replace it with the other one, thereby keeping the power flowing. Then remove the Power-Station leads. Or, is that a dangerous route to go?
The CD player is a cheapo so losing would be no big thing and I have the original radio with the code.
Thanks,
Piper

Sponsored Links
What you propose is absolutely sound, so long as your power supply has a smooth, 12v dc output. If you can crocodile clip the ends onto the battery leads, the memory will be saved.
There is a kosher product that does the same thing - mine's by Draper and you pop it into the fag lighter socket.
Get the polarity wrong at your peril.... :p
John :)

Thanks again John. I've done a search for the same model CD player: JVC KD-S891R CD/MP3, (it's old like myself) and downloaded the PDF manual, but I cannot see anything about a 'code entry' on installation. I was sure my daughter gave me the code on a slip of paper when she give me the unit. Could it be one of the many figments of my imagination.:oops:
Piper

Back