Microbore nightmares

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating radiators are fed by the dreaded 8mm microbore pipes. None of the upstairs radiators work properly. I've fitted a new circulation pump and used desludging stuff in the radiators. There is hardly any improvement so I'm thinking the distribution pipe which runs along the bottom inside of each radiator must be blocked. I plan to remove the pipe. I've never done this before, so would appreciate advice on two points:

When I remove the valve, will the pipe come out with it, i.e. attached to the valve, or is the pipe screwed into the radiator body?

Is the pipe likely to be copper or steel? If it's copper I hope to be able to clean it out, but if it's steel I expect it will be corroded away and not re-usable.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
My central heating radiators are fed by the dreaded 8mm microbore pipes. None of the upstairs radiators work properly. I've fitted a new circulation pump and used desludging stuff in the radiators. There is hardly any improvement so I'm thinking the distribution pipe which runs along the bottom inside of each radiator must be blocked. I plan to remove the pipe. I've never done this before, so would appreciate advice on two points:

When I remove the valve, will the pipe come out with it, i.e. attached to the valve, or is the pipe screwed into the radiator body?

Is the pipe likely to be copper or steel? If it's copper I hope to be able to clean it out, but if it's steel I expect it will be corroded away and not re-usable.

Thanks in advance.

You must have Maxitwin radiator valves & no TRVs??.
I think the injector tube is the least of your worries. Have you disconnected any of the 8mm Flow or Return pipes at a radiator & checked the flow rate through the pipe??

The small injector tube generally was about 2/3rd the width of the radiator & could be 8mm copper, plastic or SS flexi tube. We normally used a bit of 8mm copper tube back in the day..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back