Microbore: pros and cons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a place with a microbore CH system. Having never seen it before, I just wanted to learn a bit more about it. Why is it used? Is it any good? Etc.

Sponsored Links
aaronb said:
I've just moved into a place with a microbore CH system. Having never seen it before, I just wanted to learn a bit more about it. Why is it used? Is it any good? Etc.

Yes its good and it is used because it has a smaller bore than the standard 15mm pipe and is used because its a smaller bore.

Yes its good and it is used because it has a smaller bore than the standard 15mm pipe and is used because its a smaller bore.

i thank you.

Its fitted to do the installation quicked and cheaper! There are NO advantages. It was promoted during the 70s to lower the price of an installation. Many have now been repiped in 15 mm.

The 10 mm version works reasonably well but the 8 mm one is very prone to getting blocked by dirt and is often difficult to impossible to power flush.

Best avoided if you have any choice!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It was fitted to also get a lower water content in the heating system, so in effect you get the same heat output from all the rads but with less water in the system to be heated it was slighlty more efficient.

Agile said:
Its fitted to do the installation quicked and cheaper! There are NO advantages. It was promoted during the 70s to lower the price of an installation. Many have now been repiped in 15 mm.

The 10 mm version works reasonably well but the 8 mm one is very prone to getting blocked by dirt and is often difficult to impossible to power flush.

Best avoided if you have any choice!

Tony

You talk some cr*p :!:
I don't think you have a clue about microbore.

Thanks - the system was installed in the 70s/80s, but the boiler was renewed by British Gas last year.
It appears to work ok, even in a hard water area.

weareleeds said:
I hope you don't have any large double rads as microbore will not heat them up properly

If by saying that, you mean that there wont be adequate heat in the rads then that is rubbish. I have a microbore system in my house and the two big double rads in the living room and kitchen are piping hot. They also heat up very quickly.

Nothing wrong with microbore, still fit it to this day as and when required. Speeds up the process of the install in small domestic jobs.

rob884 said:
bobthebender said:
You talk some cr*p :!:
I don't think you have a clue about microbore.

Then why not tell us?

Well seeing as i work on a council heating & servicing contract and install it all the time and have been since the 70's long before you were a supposed plumber or whatever you are then what would you like me to say. The op who talks crap says we are removing and replacing it and ther's little old me installing a boiler and 6/7 rads in 3 bedroom houses in less than 3 days and all nice and neat including all drops in trunking and loads of money and the end of it.
I install it not replace it !
Has he or you ever installed any ?..Thought not ;)

All new build around my area use 10mm plastic to drop to each rad behind the dot and dab. No problems here. I have always replaced boilers onto microbore systems, no probs, except microbore is not very good for powerflushing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back