New CH system and microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My neighbour is getting quotes for a new combi CH & DHW system, was originally warm-air. He has been quoted for CH using 12mm copper and for the last metre feed and return to radiators in microbore. Is this normal to use microbore instaed of doing the whole system in 12mm?

When I had my system replaced the installers use 12mm grey plastic pipe (can't remember what it's called) instead of copper.

What is the best way to install:
All piping 12mm?
Most of piping 12mm with last bits microbore?
Copper or plastic pipe?

PS whats the grey plastic pipe called?

Cheers & this is a great site for learning and getting info

Steveo

Sponsored Links
He has been quoted for CH using 12mm copper and for the last metre feed and return to radiators in microbore. Is this normal to use microbore instaed of doing the whole system in 12mm?

15 mm :?:

no its not normal

and you should not do the lot in 15 either

When I had my system replaced the installers use 12mm grey plastic pipe (can't remember what it's called) instead of copper.

hep2o or speedfit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 am Post Subject: New CH system and microbore
Hi
My neighbour is getting quotes for a new combi CH & DHW system, was originally warm-air. He has been quoted for CH using 12mm copper and for the last metre feed and return to radiators in microbore. Is this normal to use microbore instaed of doing the whole system in 12mm?

What is the best way to install:

at least 22mm from the boiler first 2m or so in copper

then depending on the size of the system tee in 15 :idea:

Kev
Oops, I meant to say 15mm. I take it you would recommend 15mm in & out the radiators and not microbore? can you give ant reasons why an installer would want to use microbore from the T piece's to the radiators?

Cheers Steveo

easier to bend if its awkward to connect

it does cut the flow down a bit but depending on the size of the rads its not usually an issue

wouldnt use it on big rads tho :idea:

Sponsored Links
Microbore is quicker to install than 15 mm, and therefore attractive to the installer.
For the user it has not no advantages, and several disadvantages.
Would this installer have recommended a budget boiler by any chance?
Did he come up with a rather "competitive" quote by any chance?

Kev
Oops, I meant to say 15mm. I take it you would recommend 15mm in & out the radiators and not microbore? can you give ant reasons why an installer would want to use microbore from the T piece's to the radiators?

Cheers Steveo

cause he's a numpty! 8,10 & 12mm microbore are all more expensive per metre than 15mm tube and we only ever used it extensively in the 70's when there was a shortage of copper due to trade embargos with South Africa which was the main source of copper back then.
these days a lot is sourced from Belgium.

( Belgian ) Congo perhaps? Where the rebel army run the mines? Where the Brits refuse to trade with rebels?

I thought the 1971 copper shortages were caused by sanctions against Zimbabwe ( then Rhodesia ) and the Ian Smith regieme. The Zambian copper was hauled through Zimbabwe to get to costal ports. Probably did more harm to the Zambian economy that it did to Ian Smith!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back