microfilter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just switched isp, and the new isp is via a broadband modem on the phone line , ive got a microfilter that came with it , which ive got on the extension phone line into my comp/ do i have to put one on all phone sockets that are on same line ? ie, extension in kitchen and bedrooms. ?
regards .gh. ...ps/ also are they expensive ? cheers. r.r. :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

In broadband you will get interference noises so you need a filter on EVERY phone socket on the line.

No, they are not expensive. If you get them from the right place, that is. Go to Dixons and you'll pay a fortune but go here ....

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/39530

...like i did and pay much less.

R.

yep , thanks pchelpman/ . done as you say and put 1 on other phone connections, got em for less than £3. cheers. r.r.

help ./ please, if i put one of the m,filters onto the phone extension upstairs for the com, and plug the phone line into it as well / the comp and phone are ok upstairs.
but other phones have interference [ other 3 ] so i also put a microfilter on the main bt box where they are plugged into and they work ok/
but then it cuts off my computor modem upstairs ? phone is ok/
if i was to just have 1 microfilter on main bt box downstairs, and not 1 upstairs/ then the lead modem lead would of coarse not reach .
hope that is not as clear as mud. . advice please . r.r.

Sponsored Links
cant do that (if i read you right)

a bb filter that you also plug your phone into cuts out bb, so if you had one downstairs it would cut out your bb upstairs

yep, the instruction say its got to have a m,filter on ALL phones, also if it hasnt it will give interference on that phone/ also slow b,band down. ?
i dont think i explained myself very good.
the bt box is down stairs, and ALL phone extensions go into it via 2 double addapters.
if i put the m,filter into it and then plugged the addapters into that it would then cover all phone lines , right ? but then the telephone line cord as came with set up wouldnt reach, only way i can see out of that is to get a very long one with the proper modem ends on it so it will plug into filter downstairs and then into modem upstairs . [ just switched from ntl cable , to new talk talk ] at this present time wish i hadnt ] lol./ regards. r.r. :)

If you have multiple "extension sockets" from your main socket, which you added with a £4.99 argos DIY kit then TBH its asking for trouble. Ideally run RJ11 from your socket to your modem - not a cheapo phone extension. As for filters, one per device. WHY oh WHY did you leave ntl to go with one of the worst ISP's there is? I had to leave ntl as I moved to a non cabled area and i HATE adsl.

:eek: hi, eggplant, didnt know it was you behind me in argos/ :) anyway yes your right as usual/ its as you state.
anyway what is rj11 ? i gather its a cable of sorts , does that then plug into bt socket or do i wire it in ? [ i know i could google it ] also as you and other reply said, a filter for each phone ? so i have to put one on end of each extension and not as i was trying to do , just the one on box with extensions in it/ and the one for comp.

why did i leave ntl ? well i was only on b,band with em and was paying £9.99 a month which was a 12 month special, which was just ready to go up to £19.99 a month. also that was only for 2mb ? this talk talk is a lot faster 8mb i think [ dont quote me ] and also includes free phone calls all for £21.50 a month including line rental./ .
also i understood it was a new service on market, ? found out when it was to late that ntl have a new package to match it. :( . mistakes/ ....are for learning from , i read somewhere. :confused: regards.r.r.

Hi,

I'll reply properly tomorrow, one thing that stuck out though was
his talk talk is a lot faster 8mb
couldbe "up to 8" or "up to 2" but adsl is contended to start with which means "your" connection speed is shared, a home adsl connection has a contention ratio of 50:1 so if 49 other users on yor segment all come home from work and fire up limewire or some other file sharing app then your connection will be er, how can I put it, erm slow !
That said, in reality its not as bad as the maths would have you believe. There are many other factors including distance from exchange, the capacity of the ISP's system (not too good at all in the case of talktalk) and of course your local cabling. A basic speed test can be found here http://adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp be sure to do it after closing any file sharing apps/downloads etc - its not conclusive but gives you a guide, i'll post some other info tomorrow im dozing off lol

I agree with breezer on this, it is sounding like you are plugging the extension to the upstairs into the BT plug side of a filter which is filtering out the broadband hence the filter by the computer doesn't receive broadband so can't split it out.
When you originally plugged just the computer and the upstairs phones into the filter this is the first filter in line so can split the broadband to the computer and BT line to the phones.
Possible solution:
Plug a filter in for the computer and upstairs phones as you did originally.
Plug the upstairs phones into a 2way adapter directly into the BT socket.
Plug another filter into the other side of the 2way adapter.
Into the other side of the filter, plug in the remaining downstairs phones.
Hopefully this will work.

thanks for that eggplant/ , also to you as well spark123, yes i was doing somethink like what you and breezer say, had a filter on this end where comp and this phone is , was ok./ but interference on other phones / then unplugged all the extensions [ this one included ] from bt box downstairs, put a filter into it and plugged em all back in again/ but then lost b,band.
but i think the penny has dropped now THE filters have to be on the end of extensions where phone plugs in ? so have printed of what you suggest and will get straight onto it in morning. think ill filter off to bed. :) .regards. r.r.

:D first thanks for all the help, i got there in the end.
firstly i went and got a 10mtr rj11 [ i now know what one is eggplant :) ]
put that into main bt socket via a filter and other end into modem, and it worked ok/ ...........so unplugged it and put double socket in its place / reduced it to 2 extension leads and put a filter on the end of them , and then the phones and all ok/ ........2 extensions were actually redundant , as they were for old plug in phones, .......as we have now gone modern :) and got cordless, one base set does 2 phones with only 1 plugged in as you will of coarse know. :)
anyway i now got 10mtrs of white cable hanging over the bannister and down the stairs into front room across the carpet into bt socket to get rid of. :( . got to be a down side. lol/
anyway thanks again and if you can follow that lot , well ./ regards. r.r.

Nothing wrong with cat5/rj11/phone cable/etc dangling over the banister - been there, got many Tshirts!.
Glad you are on the way, I think from your post that you are just about sorted? Sorry I didnt reply sooner like I said but I got called out on a rush job at stupid oclock this morning and just got back.

yep eggplant , just seen your reply. sorry im late as well [ let you off ] lol./ anyway yes its all systems go now and it seems to be working ok/ i would say its just about the same as before download speed etc.
will have another check on that speed download site that was suggested.
mind you it fought me all the way , first the 10mtrs wasnt long enough ,but long enough to get it going properly , so i went and got another 3mtrs of rj11 and a connector so it would be ok/ its now all nice and hidden away under carpets .door strips etc. lol/
but in the coarse of setting it all up , it then wouldnt connect to isp/ tried the help thing that comes with it and windows help site as well, but kept getting a dial up box on screen , then it says i need technical support [ at cost ] from talk talk/........... anyway i reloaded the software again and that sorted it all out. :D
and today i even used it for a chat on mesenger live / where i was imformed there was somethink on watchdog last night about talk talk, didnt sound good either, anyway i taped it so will see it tonight.

so thanks for all replys and help on here once again, its a great site that has helped me before. keep up the good work to all. regards. r.r. :)

Sponsored Links
Back